Pontiac G8 Forum banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Do you think Advanced Auto will offer a refund or simply exchange it for another alternator?
We'll see. I'm going to push for a full refund for sure as I don't want to keep swapping the alt out. I feel like it is a very easy argument to make for a full refund as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i just replaced my alternator. Nobody in Toronto had one or could rebuild mine since the case was cracked. AMAZON had one, OEM made in japan acdelco, about 230 CND. use the rock auto part number and search. Also Caprice ppv alternator is an upgrade i heard.

·
Registered
GXP
16 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for such a useful thread. I got the "Alternator" on the DIC when leaving work on Monday, and just installed my new alternator last night.

It took a little while (3.5 hours) for me, mostly because I went the first 29+ years of my life not knowing much about cars and just recently changed my own oil for the first time. Much easier to learn about these things by doing them, especially with great writeups like this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question.

The pulley above the alternator, when you reinstall it, how tight is it supposed to be? As of right now, it doesn't spin by hand if I tighten it more than hand tight. And if I tighten it more than hand tight it squeals like a banshee and is warm in just a few seconds of run time.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quick question.

The pulley above the alternator, when you reinstall it, how tight is it supposed to be? As of right now, it doesn't spin by hand if I tighten it more than hand tight. And if I tighten it more than hand tight it squeals like a banshee and is warm in just a few seconds of run time.

Appreciate the help!
I think you mean your idler pulley. Sounds like the bearing is shot. So when you torque it its binding the bearing. I would just replace it. It's about $18 on amazon (ACDelco # 36227). I have mine TIGHT (hand tight then torque about half turn) without any problems. No noise whatsoever.

·
09 G8 GT Owner
129 Posts
This useful thread is so old(I first posted on page 2) that I just replaced my alternator for the second time, again at the 5 year mark with OEM Delco unit. Winter road salt is deadly on the low mounting position of these alternators on our G8 GT's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oldy but a goody thread. These posts were extremely helpful and I wanted to thank the OP and contributors. I was able to successfully swap the alternator in my GXP in about 3 hours. I could do it in at least half that time if I had to do it again. I did some cleaning while I was in the area and the plastic sheathing on my alternator charging wire was toast so I replaced it. I took the alternator bracket out, then gently pried old unit out, and carefully knocked - with a rubber mallet - the new one into the bracket. Not a fun job, but certainly doable for the average DIYer if you go slow.

Rock Auto and Amazon had roughly the same price on the stock GXP AC Delco replacement (made in Japan), but Amazon was faster so I went with them.

While the music was distracting at times, this guy's video on YouTube was also helpful in seeing what is what. Well worth browsing quickly before starting:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Forgot to mention: My alternator quit working properly immediately after jump starting someone - even when using the designated posts in the front. I won't be doing that again. I had a lithium jump pack, but that didn't do anything for the dead vehicle. No good deed goes unpunished...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Exactly, I will call AAA/CAA for someone in trouble but do not jump peoples cars.
Had people lose there minds on me for being a jerk, not helping them immediately....to bad so sad....
Maintain your vehicle and it won't let you down like this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I recommend ACDelco 92258220, which I installed in my G8 last year. It's for the 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV and outputs 170 amps. The alternators for the G8 GT and G8 GXP only put out 100 amps and just don't cut it because these cars use a lot of power.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I recommend ACDelco 92258220, which I installed in my G8 last year. It's for the 2011 Chevy Caprice PPV and outputs 170 amps. The alternators for the G8 GT and G8 GXP only put out 100 amps and just don't cut it because these cars use a lot of power.
+1, purchased a used PPV 6.0 ALT from eBay w/30k miles for $85 and installed on my GXP
. Great upgrade as I plan on installing a second battery + high end audio sys.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
You are a stickler !!!. Most people (including me) use the standard torque technique of tug, the sound of ugh, an that should do it. Then again maybe its just me But, per the service manual it says that the positive wire attach to the Alternator states 89 INCH lbs The 2 bolts that secure the Alternator to its bracket, states 43 FT lbs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, torque specs are not super important for this job since these bolts are only there to make things not fall off, so you'll be fine with the tug method

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Wow. AT&T will be calling to set-up an "OK" commercial.
Yeah, torque specs are not super important for this job since these bolts are only there to make things not fall off, so you'll be fine with the tug method

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

141 - 156 of 156 Posts