Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon at work one of our electrical distributor reps pulls up in a 427R. Since I am the only one at work with a "fast" car my coworkers start giving me the whole "Hey why don't you race him since you think your car is fast" type routine. It had been a while since I had looked at the specs of the 427R so I just kinda agreed that the car was faster than mine. The owner wasn't a complete D-bag but you could tell he thought that he might as well race a sunfire as race my car. He was giving it absolutely zero credit as I'm sure all he saw was a pontiac logo on the front of it and wrote it off as the average pontiac 4 door. Also the owner said that the previous owner had put headers on it and deleted the cats but hadn't tuned it so he had to have the computer reprogrammed by roush after he bought it and he thought it was about 570 hp now.

Anyway I come back inside after our little talk and found that the 427R is only 435hp from Roush so there is no way exhaust mods have him at 570hp. The owner is an older gentleman and didn't seem real knowledgeable about cars for the most part and has only had the car about a month. At this point I really would like to take a crack at that car since everyone is talking about it like its some kind of monster. The way I see it my car hooks every single time at the track for 2.03-2.0x 60'. I figure by the time he gets done spinning there is no way he would catch me by the end of the track. My 1000' pass converted to 1/4 would be 12.8-12.9. His car was a manual 5 speed with 275 cooper zeon tires.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
if he cant drive you'll win, if he's a good driver it'll be close with the edge goin to him.

our cars weigh a lot, and thats a big handicap

the auto and stall is gonna be a huge help, and if you're tires bite at all you'll launch him.

·
Administrator
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have the stall installed yet if that is what you are getting at. It is just setting in the garage. I looked up Motortrend's test on the car and they ran a 13.1 @ 108.8. They also said it got to 100 in 11 seconds. In the 1000' I was 10.75 at 100.04. That makes me think that he would have to get almost 100% of that car's potential to beat me in a 1000' race. (There are no 1/4 mile tracks in AR)

I guess it just depends on how much power he gained from the headers and tune. Because I really don't think this guy is a driver. He said he owns I think an 04 GT with 180K miles and no mods that he mentioned. I really dont think is a performance type car guy. I think he just came across a good deal on the car and picked it up. He said he got it for the price of the pay off.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Smash him and establish alpha superiority among the ranks at work. I bet youll take him especially with the stall comin. Be sure to snap a photo of his face when the ole four door gets the W.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
194 Posts
Get that converter in and you'll be talking, 2.03 60 foot isn't very good. I have pulled a 1.69 with my 3600 FTI converter and that was at 3800 feet with a DA of 5900.

·
Administrator
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up asking him if he would be willing to go to the track and race me. He said he was too old for that burning tires stuff but he did say if a z06 or a shelby gets the red light beside him its over for them. That should tell you how fast he thinks his car is. I may pester him a little more about it next time I see him. Haha.

·
Administrator
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get that converter in and you'll be talking, 2.03 60 foot isn't very good. I have pulled a 1.69 with my 3600 FTI converter and that was at 3800 feet with a DA of 5900.
Yeah I realize it isn't a good 60'. I was mostly just trying to say I brake stall it up to 1300ish rpm and go WOT throttle every time off the line without any traction issues (at the track). The street isn't always so sticky though. The stall and drag radials would make his mustang look plain silly in that first 60'.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I ended up asking him if he would be willing to go to the track and race me. He said he was too old for that burning tires stuff but he did say if a z06 or a shelby gets the red light beside him its over for them. That should tell you how fast he thinks his car is. I may pester him a little more about it next time I see him. Haha.
Oh hell, you have to dog him now. He really thinks a lousy roush conversion is faster than a Shelby or a z06?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Show him what a 2 TON Grocery Getter is all about......

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah I realize it isn't a good 60'. I was mostly just trying to say I brake stall it up to 1300ish rpm and go WOT throttle every time off the line without any traction issues (at the track). The street isn't always so sticky though. The stall and drag radials would make his mustang look plain silly in that first 60'.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to put your 60 foot's down just how much the converter will help. I run p285 M&H Drag Radials and love the set up, I drive on the street all the time with no problems.:driving:

·
Administrator
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I wasn't trying to put your 60 foot's down just how much the converter will help. I run p285 M&H Drag Radials and love the set up, I drive on the street all the time with no problems.:driving:
I haven't decided if I am going to put the stall in before I have a cam ready to go in as well. If it wasn't quite as high of a stall as it is I would probably go ahead and do it. I have seen several people mention 3500 to 3600 would be a little big for the stock cam and Im not sure when ill be doing cam and dod delete.

But yeah man its all good. I just really dont think he would be able to pull even a 2.0 60 foot with that car. Maybe if it was an auto.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Continue getting at him about it. A z06 is in a completely different class than this roush. Haha. He keeps brushing you off and underestimating your car. His too old to race comment is silly. Why buy a car of that caliber if you never want to use it's performance. I will never understand that.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Your proper responce should have been..."Z06's and Shelby's? I don't even waste my time or gas on them anymore! No point once you've spanked as many as I have." Followed by some laughter and head shaking. Then shake off the laughing and tell him you're sorry to have bothered him that you thought his 427R was supposed to be a "fast" car (make sure to use the air quotes when saying fast) Then tell him well at least its a pretty Mustang turn and walk away. I gaurentee he will be ready to go out then and there to run you. ;)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Your proper responce should have been..."Z06's and Shelby's? I don't even waste my time or gas on them anymore! No point one you've spanked as many as I have." Followed by some laughter and head shaking. Then shake off the laughing and tell him you're sorry to have bothered him that you thought his 427R was supposed to be a "fast" car (make sure to use the air quotes when saying fast) Then tell him well at least its a pretty Mustang turn and walk away. I gaurentee he will be ready to go out then and there to run you. ;)
Instag8.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.