Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering if anyone has had their G8 into Wilson Niblett for lifters or engine work ?

I just made an appointment with Wilson Niblett dealership (never been there before) to have them look at my engine next Monday.

My mechanic says that that the top end (most likely the lifters) of cylinder 4 is making noise.
& causing a slight misfire (code P0304) at idle.

Already had done by my mechanic:
Fuel injectors flushed;
new spark plugs;
new spark plug wires;
fuel injector for cylinder 4 tested.

Kind of nervous about the whole thing :eek2:
Good thing for 5 year GM powertrain warranty !
(My G8 is still stock.)
I figured that Wilson Niblett would know the LS-family of engines the best (?).

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
They're the only guys I go too. I'm sure they'll take care of you. Keep us updated.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
I'd volunteer myself to do the work at my dealer, but we're a Chev/Cad store and can't do G8 powertrain warranty work. So yeah, I can't even get my car fixed at my own dealer!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Tell them you want JUSTIN to work on your car exclusively. He has a G8 GXP. He worked on mine while there. He also builds the callaway corvettes (s/c kits etc)... he is top notch. Knows the car inside/out/backwards/forward & every other permutation.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dropped my G8 off to Wilson Niblett this morning & waited for the verdict.

It needs a new camshaft & related parts (like new lifters) :cry:
Parts are going to take about a week.
& then maybe 2-days to do.

My G8 is at Wilson Niblett awaiting the parts.
& I am in a Malibu rental car.

Thank you Wilson Niblett dealership for taking care of this under GM powertrain warranty, & getting me into a rental car :thumbsup:

PS: There was a black C6 Callaway Corvette in front of me in the service drop of area :drool:

·
Registered
822 Posts
sounds like a downgrade - they should have given you a cts-v wagon to compensate. hahah.

How is the new 'Bu?

·
Registered
211 Posts
all my work done at WILSON NIBLETT top notch people JUSTIN is FANTASTIC always works on my car willie

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like a downgrade - they should have given you a cts-v wagon to compensate. hahah.

How is the new 'Bu?
Nah, I would want a CTS-V sedan ;)

The rental was from Enterprise.
The '12 Malibu is a base model.
With a 169 hp 2.4L Ecotec I4 engine.
But it is better on gas mileage lol

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'd volunteer myself to do the work at my dealer, but we're a Chev/Cad store and can't do G8 powertrain warranty work. So yeah, I can't even get my car fixed at my own dealer!

Have you had a chat with your DSM? Might be worth it ;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Tell them you want JUSTIN to work on your car exclusively. He has a G8 GXP. He worked on mine while there. He also builds the callaway corvettes (s/c kits etc)... he is top notch. Knows the car inside/out/backwards/forward & every other permutation.
+1

Mike, Justin does top notch work. Good guy working for a good dealership that understands customer service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Should have gone to the dealer first, would have saved you the cost of the tune-up and wasted time. As soon as I heard the noise I new what the problem was. The confirmation was the tick sound went away when the lifters for cylinder #4 were deactivated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you sure? We were never a Pontiac store but never have an issue with warranty.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
That handle rings a bell....Eugene?

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
Are you sure? We were never a Pontiac store but never have an issue with warranty.
Are there any dealers near to you that were Pontiac dealers? We have one across the street from us...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should have gone to the dealer first, would have saved you the cost of the tune-up and wasted time. As soon as I heard the noise I new what the problem was. The confirmation was the tick sound went away when the lifters for cylinder #4 were deactivated.
Are you working on my car ?

Just wondering how bad it looked.
& what exactly is going to be replaced ?

Didn't think the GM Powertrain Warranty would of covered a tune-up?
The plugs & wires were the original ones from the factory at 83K km.
Some of the wires were showing signs of needing to be replaced soon.
The fuel injectors have never been cleaned before.
That's why I had him do it.

Note: The new spark plugs are the stock type AC Delco Iridiums.
& the new spark plug wires are MSD with DEI spark plug boot covers.
Please don't discard them...as they are brand new.
Surprised at how much MSD wires & DEI spark plug boot covers cost in Canada.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That handle rings a bell....Eugene?
Yes

Are you working on my car ?

Just wondering how bad it looked.
& what exactly is going to be replaced ?

Didn't think the GM Powertrain Warranty would of covered a tune-up?
The plugs & wires were the original ones from the factory at 83K km.
Some of the wires were showing signs of needing to be replaced soon.
The fuel injectors have never been cleaned before.
That's why I had him do it.

Note: The new spark plugs are the stock type AC Delco Iridiums.
& the new spark plug wires are MSD with DEI spark plug boot covers.
Please don't discard them...as they are brand new.
Surprised at how much MSD wires & DEI spark plug boot covers cost in Canada.

I diagnosed your car. A new cam and lifters are on order, just waiting on parts. The reason I said that about the tune up is that the stock plugs are good for 160k and oem wires offer the best performance and reliability (I'm not really a fan of MSD products). The plugs and wires will go back on.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
What're you doin on this site, you driving a G8 now?

And why's it taking so long to get the dude's parts? US only? Guess they're a little less common than 5.3 parts

·
Registered
10 Posts
What're you doin on this site, you driving a G8 now?

And why's it taking so long to get the dude's parts? US only? Guess they're a little less common than 5.3 parts
Sold the Sunfire and bought the G8 2 years ago. It was a trade in that I couldn't pass up.

We had everything in stock except for the cam, it was on b/o.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts