Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is fairly common knowledge, but I wanted to reiterate as I haven't seen any recent threads that mention how AWESOME THE GXP MUFFLER IS on the GT with headers.

I met up with another user on here over the weekend and bought his GXP mufflers for a very good price.

I've got Kooks mids, stock mid-pipe cut out and replaced with an H, terminating at the GXP mufflers.

I've got DoD and it's definitely still noticeable, but only just. And so mild when cruising and at idle. But then getting on it... holy cow. I can't believe I have a car that is so loud. It's amazing lol.

Anyways, here's a short clip of rev and take-off.

10/10 would recommend to anyone that can find some.

https://youtu.be/Btp3onBCusg

·
Registered
735 Posts
Nice!!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have them with JBA LT, stock mid and resonators. Its a little quiet, but I am thinking with the ARH headers and 3" X pipe with no mid muffler should be about right!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a set on my wife's GT. Stock manifolds, x pipe in place of mid muffler, deleted resonators. Sounds awesome. Quiet normal driving. Roars when you lay into it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have them with a GXP mid and Pypes headers and I think they sound great. Highly recommended. I didn't want to pay up for them but glad I did!

·
Registered
99 Posts
i found a set. long tubes to X pipe through Pypes was too loud. added a Magnaflow mid and now its too quiet. Hoping GXP axle backs and taking out that magnaflow will be my middle ground that i am looking for.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm tempted to get a set they're just so pricey for a used muffler. My car has longtubes to 3" full exhaust to solo axlebacks and it sounds like a race car at all times.
I bet that is crazy loud! But probably really fun ;P And yes, I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't stumbled upon the post. Got the pair for $250... Couldn't pass it up when I see them mostly going for $350+.

i found a set. long tubes to X pipe through Pypes was too loud. added a Magnaflow mid and now its too quiet. Hoping GXP axle backs and taking out that magnaflow will be my middle ground that i am looking for.
I think you'll be very happy with it! I've still got cats, so it's not crazy, but the sound is great.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm tempted to get a set they're just so pricey for a used muffler. My car has longtubes to 3" full exhaust to solo axlebacks and it sounds like a race car at all times.
They're so hard to find, so I settled on Chevy SS mufflers. Apparently they are supposed to sound just as awesome and are easy to modify to get to fit the G8. I got a pair with 1k miles for $200 picked up locally. I'll be installing them soon. GT mufflers are way too quiet.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
They're so hard to find, so I settled on Chevy SS mufflers. Apparently they are supposed to sound just as awesome and are easy to modify to get to fit the G8. I got a pair with 1k miles for $200 picked up locally. I'll be installing them soon. GT mufflers are way too quiet.
That's cheap. I sold My GT mufflers to someone who was putting them on a V6.I won my solo pipes, but I was looking at the GXP axle backs before I won my solo's.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's cheap. I sold My GT mufflers to someone who was putting them on a V6.I won my solo pipes, but I was looking at the GXP axle backs before I won my solo's.
People actually buy GT mufflers? Wow. How much? If I could get $50, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually just put a set of SS mufflers on my GT with an x in place of the mid muffler/resonators. It does sound a hell of a lot better and louder, but I have to say I was thinking they were going to be a little louder.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good to hear! My car is DD and it's a baby hauler, so not too loud will be perfect. I do have cam + headers, so it will be louder than yours though.

Was the install real straight forward with the flanges?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
New they are pretty expensive, not that anyone would buy them. Solo's are pretty expensive but they do sound pretty good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good to hear! My car is DD and it's a baby hauler, so not too loud will be perfect. I do have cam + headers, so it will be louder than yours though.

Was the install real straight forward with the flanges?
Nice, you'll have to let me know how that sounds because I wouldn't mind a little extra sound. The install was easy, measured the stock muffler tubing length with flange then cut the SS mufflers slightly longer to be safe, slid the new flanges on the pipes and mocked it up, then gave it to a guy i work with to weld it up. The only thing is the tips aren't as long as the stock mufflers so they sit inboard a little more, but if you're going to get new tips then it's no big deal. You may have seen this already but here's a link to a guy on YouTube with headers, no cats, and SS mufflers.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Wish I could have found some GXP mufflers as cheap as you guys did. I'm about to spend 4 bills on some.

That SS sounds so damn good, hard to believe as I have not heard any other GXP or SS axle back sound anything close. Wonder what he has for headers and mid section?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts