Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I’m new to the board long story short I wanted something different but definitely gm while staying in the budget. I’m 19 and just had twin boys and I wanted to be the “cool dad”. 😂 but I just got a used gxp cam with around 60-80k can’t remember but my 2009 g8 gt has 140k miles and she’s all stock I think it’s about time for a dod delete. I was wondering with those miles on both motor and the new/used gxp g8 cam will I be okay to run stock cam bearing? I’m pretty much just wanting to do the cam , ls7 lifters and trays , dod delete valley cover , timing chain , head gaskets , and then a tune will I be okay?

stock pushrods
Stock valves
Stock valve spring
Stock top end besides the cane and lifters
Ofc I would do all the little things like valves guides and cleaning heads and pistons and what not but will I be okay with just swapping cam and lifters and trays 6.0 L76

thank you to anyone that may be able to help.‼

·
Registered
76 Posts
With bearings it's a call you'll have to make when you actually see them in person. If they look alright, then you should be fine.

I just finished DoD swapping mine and I had 117k miles on the car. For stock LS3 parts I think you can get away with stock GT springs, I think someone actually has done it before (and on a budget too). Worse case scenario, you pick up a few LS3 parts which shouldn't cost as much as aftermarket stuff. Though personally I'd recommend getting reinforced pushrods and a trunion kit for rocker arms if you expect to do any kind of "performance" driving. LS's like to bend stock pushrods. But other than that you'll get a solid car, (just gonna need a tune to get all the parts to agree, and you're golden). You will also have to plug up the oil-pressure relief valve in the oil pan, I don't have the part number; you replace the valve with a bolt effectively plugging it. (Its there for DOD system, which can't handle high oil pressure.)

You WILL need the LS2/3 Valley cover, and/or plug up the oil tower holes with special rivets. Otherwise you'll have oil issues. But if you get one of those covers with rubber o-rings where the towers are, you should be fine w/out having to rivet them.

Also when done you'll either have to turn DOD off in the cars tune before or after the procedure if you intend to drive to a tuner. Even with hardware gone the system will cut spark to the cylinders throwing a ton of misfire codes.

As for 140k, honestly I'd replace wear items if I were you like water-pump, belts, tensioners, I've been more anal and I've replaced the oil pump too, but I think you can get away with using the one you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With bearings it's a call you'll have to make when you actually see them in person. If they look alright, then you should be fine.

I just finished DoD swapping mine and I had 117k miles on the car. For stock LS3 parts I think you can get away with stock GT springs, I think someone actually has done it before (and on a budget too). Worse case scenario, you pick up a few LS3 parts which shouldn't cost as much as aftermarket stuff. Though personally I'd recommend getting reinforced pushrods and a trunion kit for rocker arms if you expect to do any kind of "performance" driving. LS's like to bend stock pushrods. But other than that you'll get a solid car, (just gonna need a tune to get all the parts to agree, and you're golden). You will also have to plug up the oil-pressure relief valve in the oil pan, I don't have the part number; you replace the valve with a bolt effectively plugging it. (Its there for DOD system, which can't handle high oil pressure.)

You WILL need the LS2/3 Valley cover, and/or plug up the oil tower holes with special rivets. Otherwise you'll have oil issues. But if you get one of those covers with rubber o-rings where the towers are, you should be fine w/out having to rivet them.

Also when done you'll either have to turn DOD off in the cars tune before or after the procedure if you intend to drive to a tuner. Even with hardware gone the system will cut spark to the cylinders throwing a ton of misfire codes.

As for 140k, honestly I'd replace wear items if I were you like water-pump, belts, tensioners, I've been more anal and I've replaced the oil pump too, but I think you can get away with using the one you have.
Thank you this is great info I been trying to find stuff like this on the board but can’t anywhere sounds good I didn’t even know I had to do all the other stuff as well ima have to look Into that thank you and for anywhere else wondering about it here ya go ^^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts