Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of buying a g8 gt that has had some minor work done to it. Through following forums and my research I have determined that this car is worth its cost. ONE problem. The bumper doesnt fully line up to the hood on the car. The car fax states no known accident claims.... the previous owner had swapped the factory gt bumper off and placed a gxp bumper on it. Has anyone here done the same? and if so did you have the same issue? Is this an easy fix?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just did the swap about a month ago. I changed the bumper myself then drove it to the body shop. ZERO fitment issues, just bolted it up and that was it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
most g8's look a little buck toothed at the center hood/bumper. there was a fix on one of the boards that involved some simple spacers to get the bumper up a bit in the center.
Im in the process of buying a g8 gt that has had some minor work done to it. Through following forums and my research I have determined that this car is worth its cost. ONE problem. The bumper doesnt fully line up to the hood on the car. The car fax states no known accident claims.... the previous owner had swapped the factory gt bumper off and placed a gxp bumper on it. Has anyone here done the same? and if so did you have the same issue? Is this an easy fix?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
That carfax is about as good as toilet paper! They just had on the news last week how carfax missed LOTS of stuff that other places catch. Even carfax recommends you have the car checked out by a mechanic and that they don't know everything about the cars they claim to.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. Yea I'm aware that tons of ppl have done this swap before. I've seen most of em look fine and don't have a full finger gap space and recessed slightly around the inside corner near the lights. I'm gonna have my Buddy who works at an auto body shop take a look at it before anything is finalized. Good lookin out fellas.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kev that's exactly what I was thinking may be needed. Mentioned it to my step dad who was with me n we see it as a simple fix so its easy enough for me to consider it. As for the Carfax jack yea It seems like so many carfaxes I've seen seem sooooooo clean and the cars look great yet u have a feeling that something is off. Yea IMA have multiple ppl check this thang out before its in my driveway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
most g8's look a little buck toothed at the center hood/bumper. there was a fix on one of the boards that involved some simple spacers to get the bumper up a bit in the center.
This/\/\/\/\the hood, the peak above the arrowhead, usually has a little overbite. You place some 1/8 to 1/4 inch spacer's in the front fascia and it evens out the overbite a little bit.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
There is a thread in the *Technical Articles & DIY* section. Its at the bottom of page 1 "Bumper Gap mod, easy fix in 5 minutes". It talks about mods performed at the upper portion of the fascia and some corrective action done at the bottom of it (with the post count around the 80 #). This might help you understand and even correct your problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a thread in the *Technical Articles & DIY* section. Its at the bottom of page 1 "Bumper Gap mod, easy fix in 5 minutes". It talks about mods performed at the upper portion of the fascia and some corrective action done at the bottom of it (with the post count around the 80 #). This might help you understand and even correct your problem.

Thanks homie this really summarized all the things I was .mentioning and all the possible ways of dealing with the effects/ causes of this particular problem. Still playin the numbers game with the dealership. Also looking at another one close by that's M.G.M. my favorite color hands down. So if they work wimme I'll get that one n if not I'm gonna be in a white holden I mean pontiac pretty soon.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked out another g8 today and noticed that "bucktoothed thing". This car's bumper lined up better along the lines where the headlight points. The white one which i'm interested in buying is slightly off in these locations. With the info found in various other threads i'm sure I can repair this to proper fitment

1 - 11 of 11 Posts