Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 GXP M6, Car had Rotofab, SLP LT's with stock midpipe that had the pupcats, stock h-pipe and midmuffler replaced with a magnaflow x-pipe on stock gxp wheels.

Stock GXP Axleback

Same car with VCM OTR and on 275/30R20s

OBX Axleback

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you like rasp its good, they have ZERO drone but they also dont have much low end either. the obx have a much more commanding presence in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
The Magnaflow mid muffler is what killed the drone on the OBX set up. A member here used them with just an x-pipe and they droned badly. That mid muffler solves a lot of problems and improves the sound.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If yall think that drone is bad then this must be your first car with an aftermarket exhaust... Its a little annoying at 70ish but i've been on a lot of roadtrips already and its really not bad at all. no way would i add ANOTHER muffler to this exhaust... its already really quiet, I'm still considering finding some GT mufflers to hack up and putting some really small Borla XR1 mufflers or some sort of race muffler out back.

my previous car was a 277hp 311tq turbo cobalt with 3" turbo back exhaust with only a 18" resonator in line... that thing droned lol

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
If you wanna hear some drone run system like the OBX with muffler deletes in the back. I have had drone with a couple different ways I have had my exhaust but with the muffler delete axle backs it took it to a while other level. Something about the resonant frequency made it damn near unbearable. Right around 2000 rpm it was awful. This last weekend I drove around with no mufflers on the car and it didn't seem near as bad as with the muffler delete axle back ons. I know that doesn't really make since but that is the way it seemed. My buddy that drives a 99 trans am with a header/catless/loud mouth setup said his isnt anywhere near as bad goin down the freeway as that was.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it all has to do with standing waves and piping length. i cant stand the way no muffler sounds on normal ls motors... sounds like a ******* boat/dump truck/turd... now a 460ci LSx w/ 15:1 and 2 1/8" headers without mufflers sounds a bit better :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the OBX axlebacks also... Welded in some J pipes... The only drone I get is at 1400RPM and cruising n the highway is stock quiet inside the cabin! They are like black magic!

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theres nothing magical about j-pipes any muffler shop can bend you a piece of 20-something inch long pipe lol. its just figuring out the length required

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
I assumed as much, but I have a welder, just figured I could pick some up and weld it up. Length hmmm....

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Oh dang, I dunno why I thought it was special. I didn't even think to look on summit or jegs, doah. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I like my OBX axlebacks, been great on my LTs.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have Solo Axle backs after ARH headers and catted mid pipe...no drone on the freeway. It's raspy as all heck accelerating, but I have been told by many people it sounds super awesome outside the car. And yes, it's loud.

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
You guys know of anyone running a full OBX system? From the headers all the way down to the exhaust tips? Kind of curious of what those sound like, since I'm going to replace my flowmaster series 10s.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
You guys know of anyone running a full OBX system? From the headers all the way down to the exhaust tips? Kind of curious of what those sound like, since I'm going to replace my flowmaster series 10s.
There's one or two here.

No different than anyone running Kooks or ARH without cats and OBX axleback though.

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
There's one or two here.

No different than anyone running Kooks or ARH without cats and OBX axleback though.
Those guys have cats on though, and usually that changes the tone on the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.