Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to experiment a little with my exhaust to see if I can get it a little deeper. I already have the mach short catback with the J-pipes. I did some thread searching and from what I found, an H-pipe should make it sound deeper with a slight bit of low end torque. Would I just put the H-pipe in place of the small muffler? Opinions?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not sure how the stock V6 exhaust system looks, but yes. From all the research I did, you want your balance pipe (be it X or H) as near the motor as you can get it, so you'll want it welded in place as close to where the two pipes sweep back and together to run into the mid muffler.

I'm not sure the diameter of the V6 exhaust tubing, but I'd recommend finding a universal H-pipe kit on Summit or Jegs or a site like that to cut down on labor costs if you're taking it somewhere to have the work done (or frustration if you're planning on doing it yourself?)

Here's an example on mine... You can see toward the left side of the pic that the pipe from the kit is pretty much meeting where the two pipes turn to run parallel down the drive shaft tunnel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how the stock V6 exhaust system looks, but yes. From all the research I did, you want your balance pipe (be it X or H) as near the motor as you can get it, so you'll want it welded in place as close to where the two pipes sweep back and together to run into the mid muffler.

I'm not sure the diameter of the V6 exhaust tubing, but I'd recommend finding a universal H-pipe kit on Summit or Jegs or a site like that to cut down on labor costs if you're taking it somewhere to have the work done (or frustration if you're planning on doing it yourself?)

Here's an example on mine... You can see toward the left side of the pic that the pipe from the kit is pretty much meeting where the two pipes turn to run parallel down the drive shaft tunnel.

Its 2.25" I believe for the stock exhaust diameter but I replaced it with the solo mach shorty catback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts