101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Atari guages

I noticed looking through the threads that this topic has been beaten to death and then some but......Can anyone tell me exactly what happens if you take a gauge set out of a 08 and try to plug it into an 09'? I've read everything from it works fine to doesn't function at all. Any clarification would be appreciated. Also, White auto appears to have done the mod at one time. I don't know if they still do or not? Is there any other company or individual that does this mod if needed? Thanks in advance. Not real cut in on this so looking for any useful info.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I noticed looking through the threads that this topic has been beaten to death and then some but......Can anyone tell me exactly what happens if you take a gauge set out of a 08 and try to plug it into an 09'? I've read everything from it works fine to doesn't function at all. Any clarification would be appreciated. Also, White auto appears to have done the mod at one time. I don't know if they still do or not? Is there any other company or individual that does this mod if needed? Thanks in advance. Not real cut in on this so looking for any useful info.
The 08 donor car had a different VIN than the car you're putting the 08 gauges into, so that incorrect VIN is broadcast inside your BCM bus which can cause confusion among all the modules and cause other electrical issues. GM designed these busses with VIN matching sequences and frames that ensure that only authorized devices (i.e., NOT your donor atari gauges) communicate on that closed bus system, to ensure maximum reliability.

"Works fine" verses "throwing errors and problems behind the scenes" are two completely different things.

I would recommend you employ GTPPrix to re-green your donor 2008 gauges to be programmed with YOUR VIN (fixing the issues described above) and optionally converting the double-atari-2008-style-graphics to triple like in my signature for more smiles per miles.

Does this clarify?

If anyone doubts me, hook up a GM "Tech 2" device commonly found at dealerships with the necessary Candi modules, and read the codes on the BCM bus and in each of the BCM modules after installing a VIN-mismatched atari gauges (or radio, or cluster, or anything!) .... don't say I didn't tell you so! :)

--zepcom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does sas still sell these?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Crystal clear Zepcom. Thanks, sending off to Chris White for re-greening.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Safe to say that these haven't been around "new" for several years, your best bet is a junkyard set with wiring harness included sent to gtpprix for regreening as per a few posts above.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts