Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Handle / arm rest thing broken

11K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Louj 
#1 ·
Hey guys, not sure how this happened but the armrest / doorhandle seems to be loose and coming out. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
A healthy but tidy glob of JB Weld where that mounting boss is broken from inside the pull-handle will do the job.

Reactions: hexagod
#5 ·
Looks like a passenger side door and could quite possible have happened by placing an extra amount of stress on the front edge of the handle. Typically, try to grab the door handle in the middle versus on either extremity to more evenly distribute the closing force/pressure. At any rate, that is nether here nor there and first hunch would be to either replace the door handle (if possible) or the entire door panel. However, "repairing" it another way might be an option as well. Good luck

#15 · (Edited)
Looks like a passenger side door and could quite possible have happened by placing an extra amount of stress on the front edge of the handle. Typically, try to grab the door handle in the middle versus on either extremity auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver to more evenly distribute the closing force/pressure. At any rate, that is nether here nor there and first hunch would be to either replace the door handle (if possible) or the entire door panel. However, "repairing" it another way might be an option as well. Good luck
as far as how to fix it IDK but I know you will have to remove the door panel to get at the mounting point

#8 ·
By the way, there are a few G8 door panels floating around on eBay depending on which one is needed. Also, instructions should be available on the forum to assist with removing the door panel (if necessary).

#11 ·
Hey I’m on the east coast, my leather is the red / black (or onyx maybe, not sure to the official naming). Does that impact the door panel at all or are they all the same? Maybe move this to a PM. Might just want a new panel because when I used epoxy it just came off again two months later ^_^

#13 ·
There is no difference in the leather panels for the red/black interior option. They are the same as onyx interior. Here are the front door panel part numbers for both cloth and leather:

leather
Left 92204582
Right 92204583

cloth
Left 92204584
Right 92204585

There are some available on eBay. Good luck!

#17 ·
It may no longer be helpful to anyone as this is somewhat of an old thread, but same thing happened to the passenger side door panel handle in my G8. I repaired this in September so I apologize if my information isn't completely accurate. What I ended up doing is removing the door panel, which is actually quite simple. It's just a couple of phillips head screws, there should be a few at the way bottom of the door panel, 1 or 2 at either side, and one hidden underneath the armrest. Once you remove all the screws you should just have to pull at the edge of the panel, wherever you can get your hands or a plastic trim tool so long as it isn't at the top, then work your way around the edges of the door panel until you have popped free all of the push pins. Then it should slide out of the window channel. Once you remove the panel, you should be able to pull the door handle apart a bit where it broke, and try to remove the broken pieces of plastic and the screw holding the handle on which I believe is hidden beneath some foam behind the door panel. I ended up putting a license plate screw plastic insert into the actual handle part of the door panel where the original screw threads into. I believe you should then be able to use the original screw from the door panel to thread back into the insert. Once you thread a screw into the insert it the tabs on the back of the insert will expand which will hold the insert into the door panel very solidly. You should be able to find the inserts by searching "License plate screw inserts" they'll be white, square pieces of plastic with 4 triangle tabs on the back of them.

#19 ·
I did the JB Weld trick and that fixed my armrest issue. I had the same problem on each side. Didn't drill out the rivets. Just pulled the handle out far enough to get some JB Weld in there and installed a new screw. It's been holding for about 8 months now. I do grab down near the arm rest now, not the upper part of the handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.