Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened before but did it again today. Turn the key, "click" then nothing. Then after a sec, it will start. Or "click" and nothing. Moved the shifter around and then started but not sure if that was the cause or not. Battery voltage shows 12.5 (but this is after I got to work) and while idling shows 14.5.

The "click" seems to indicate the relay is working. Once it does start, it seems to turn over decently well.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Current mileage? Original starter? Additional electrical issues? Would start by checking the battery and starter connections.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
533 Posts
When mine started doing that it ended up being the starter.

Reactions: johncampanale

·
Registered
220 Posts
Happened before but did it again today. Turn the key, "click" then nothing. Then after a sec, it will start. Or "click" and nothing. Moved the shifter around and then started but not sure if that was the cause or not. Battery voltage shows 12.5 (but this is after I got to work) and while idling shows 14.5.

The "click" seems to indicate the relay is working. Once it does start, it seems to turn over decently well.
If it was the V6 I would say definitely look at the starter motor as I changed one recently that has the same V6 engine as the G8 on the previous model VZ Comodore. Until then I had replaced a battery and moved shifters and locked and unlocked over a couple of years until I finally changed the starter and resolved it.

Also on another V6, the VT Commodore, I ended up spraying WD40 on the connectors to the Crank Angle Sensor and that instantly resolved an intermittenet starting issue that had had plagued the car. They had clagged up with road grime and providing just enough difference in resistance around that connector to cause suprious signals that affected starting.

But you have the V8 so try all of the above. Battery Connections, Starter motor, Crank Angle, ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine was the starter as well. Before I replaced it, it would click 3+ times before spinning the starter motor. I took apart the starter and solenoid and found that the only problem was a little corrosion on the contacts...unfortunately, the solenoid had to be destroyed to access the contacts :(

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine was the starter as well. Before I replaced it, it would click 3+ times before spinning the starter motor. I took apart the starter and solenoid and found that the only problem was a little corrosion on the contacts...unfortunately, the solenoid had to be destroyed to access the contacts :(
Which starter did you get and where did you buy from?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Which starter did you get and where did you buy from?
Apologies for the delayed response- for my early 09 G8, I purchased a new GM 92202964 starter from Rockauto in 2020. I just checked and it looks like they don't carry the new GM model any more but they have remans instead. I vaguely remember that the Camaro used a nearly identical starter with a different connector on the solenoid and it was easier to find. Theoretically, if you could find a replacement starter solenoid pigtail for a Camaro unit, you would be set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts