Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, see if you can make any sense of this. I've had the car for a month today, and it's already been in the shop once, and will be going again later today. I was driving last Friday, and lost power steering, got an alternator light, and the car began to overheat. I pulled it over and shut it down, and had it brought to the dealership. Turned out to be the harmonic balancer. Whoever worked on it before had put several washers on the bolt, according to the dealer, and they're telling me that's why it failed, as it was wobbling and would then completely stop spinning. They put a new one on it, and all was good for 2 days. Last night, same thing. I pull it over, and decide to turn the AC off. Once the AC is off, the balancer spins and the car runs as it should. But as soon as the AC is clicked on, the balancer will stop, and you can see the bolt in the middle spinning. Not sure what to make of all that. Also only seems to be when the car warms up. Any ideas?

·
2009 G8 GXP
446 Posts
seems like the dealership stripped the crank while replacing the balancer installed by the po. Hopefully not. keep in mind any dealeship work is warrentied for 12 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Screamin, thanks for the reply. That's what I kind of figured too. Any reason it'd work fine with the AC off, and once the AC is engaged act up? That's what's puzzling me a bit.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
With the crank bolt stripped, I can bet the balancer is not on all the way. This means the pulleys are not aligned with the crank. The AC belt is so short compared to the main belt. Any load and the AC belt comes off. The longer main belt can tollerate a little being off and it will start to squeek

·
Registered
786 Posts
If they stripped the crank, the right person can repair it without removing the crank, but man, that sucks. Whatever you do, have someone index the blanceer to the crank and put a key in it, much like the procedure that is called for when installing a belt-driven blower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being that I just got the harmonic balancer changed by them, this would be under warranty, correct? Was just fixed 2 days ago. Whether it be they stripped the bolt, the crank, or whatever happened. Can't pay for a rental for another week, unfortunately. Kinda sourin' the good taste I had in my mouth about the car, sadly. =/

·
2009 G8 GXP
446 Posts
its not the car its the dealer that makes the difference. Pinning the crank is easy if done by a experienced profesional. You may have to go the an aftermarket balancer that can be keyed. It should not take that long if they have the right tools. My suggestion is this time stay with the car and make sure it is done correctly. Where you are located will help, as members can suggest better dealers and performance shops that can help.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Being that I just got the harmonic balancer changed by them, this would be under warranty, correct? Was just fixed 2 days ago. Whether it be they stripped the bolt, the crank, or whatever happened. Can't pay for a rental for another week, unfortunately. Kinda sourin' the good taste I had in my mouth about the car, sadly. =/
Balancer not rotating??? The crank snout is likely worn to the point that even a new balancer may not fit right.

Or it is not on all the way, and you need a NEW BOLT properly torqued. If they reuse the bolt, It will happen again.

I'd ask them to retorque a new bolt in the right way, and see if the problem goes away. If not, the crank may need replacing. (If it were me, and I had to pay for it, I'd pin the crank pulley after exhausting dealer paid options-cheaper and will prevent the problem)

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
Hurry up and get it in there... a bad balancer thats not fully installed means its not doing its job, which will wipe out crank bearings and possibly the crank itself. Which will cost you FAR more than another week with a rental car. Dont fvck around with this... call the dealership and start screaming because you are on your way to buying a new motor at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just took it to the dealership after work. They got it on the rack, and could turn the harmonic balancer bolt BY HAND. The guy also couldn't tell me the torque specs he tightened it at. They ordered another bolt, as well as a 21 dollar washer he saw in the diagram that apparently the bolt is calling for, and they're gonna put it in and let it settle all day before I pick it up tomorrow. Very lucky that bolt didn't come all the way out....:mad:

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
Let it settle? WTF does that mean... the bolt is either tight or it isnt. Its not gonna get any tighter sitting somewhere. They are probably putting locktite on the threads to keep it from backing off again. Fvck that... I'd be documenting EVERYTHING and tell the service manager that you WILL be in contact with them thru your lawyer if this motor lets go and the culprit is in the bottom half of the motor.
Once you get the car back, take lots of pics of the work they did, then change the oil and see if you can see any "pixie dust" in it. If so, better keep an eye on oil pressure....

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
also not sure what washer you are talking about. Is that the rubber/steel "washer that goes between the crank and balancer?

·
2009 G8 GXP
446 Posts
Let it settle? WTF does that mean... the bolt is either tight or it isnt. Its not gonna get any tighter sitting somewhere. They are probably putting locktite on the threads to keep it from backing off again. Fvck that... I'd be documenting EVERYTHING and tell the service manager that you WILL be in contact with them thru your lawyer if this motor lets go and the culprit is in the bottom half of the motor.
Once you get the car back, take lots of pics of the work they did, then change the oil and see if you can see any "pixie dust" in it. If so, better keep an eye on oil pressure....
+1 on that. I would ask for the bolt that was replaced. Seems like you need to take it to another dealer

also not sure what washer you are talking about. Is that the rubber/steel "washer that goes between the crank and balancer?
Probably is.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
If it already has a new balancer, then the crank needs replaced...Balancer is a press on fit the entire way. If it spins with a new balancer, then the crank is bad.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
^^^ What Rick said. Not normal. I will be on my 3rd balancer as of next week. Mine keep getting a crazy wobble in them and causing my belts to sqeal. I do alot of them on Vettes and Camaros also.

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
^^^ What Rick said. Not normal. I will be on my 3rd balancer as of next week. Mine keep getting a crazy wobble in them and causing my belts to sqeal. I do alot of them on Vettes and Camaros also.
You using an OEM balancer or aftermarket?

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
If it already has a new balancer, then the crank needs replaced...Balancer is a press on fit the entire way. If it spins with a new balancer, then the crank is bad.
that's what I was posting. However, since it's likely not in warranty, can he just "pin" the crank?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the car is fixed, and back in my possession. Never thought an average guy like me should have a bit more knowledge and a "Certified GM master mechanic", but apparently sometimes it happens. I went to pick the car up yesterday, and he was torquing the bolt, same as he claims he did last time. Long story short, he never pulled the starter and did what he needed to do to keep the crank from turning when he tried to torque the bolt. Once that was done, had him torque the old bolt to 240, pull it out, torque the new to 37 ft pounds, and stretch it 140 degrees. And so far, no problems. The guy's supervisor overheard our convo about pulling the starter, and came over and confirmed what I was saying, lookin' at the guy like he was retarded the whole time. That certain individual will NOT be working on my car in the future.

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
I'm using OEM as im still under Powertrain warranty.
oh ok...yeah im out of warranty already, but I never had a problem with mine. When it comes time to replace it I'll go with an aftermarket SFI rated piece.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts