Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed the balancer wobbling some today.I plan on replacing it which one should I go with?Car is completely stock.Its an 09.5.Plan on keeping it stock.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Take it to the dealer. This is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Not to thread jack: I just called the dealer to have this looked at, set an appointment over the phone. He said "some naturally do have a wobble but we'll see if it needs replacement."
WTF? It's not supposed to wobble AT ALL!
Please correct me if I'm wrong here?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
786 Posts
just get the slp or powerbond underdrive pulley. you need two new shorter belts. a few places that sell them have a package deal for the UDP and belts together.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Its out of warranty
Are you past 100,000 miles? The harmonic balancer is listed specifically in the 6y/100k mile powertrain warrranty. I bought one from Rock Auto because my dealer said it wasn't under the warranty. Then I read the warranty booklet. :slap:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
just get the slp or powerbond underdrive pulley. you need two new shorter belts. a few places that sell them have a package deal for the UDP and belts together.
Seriously considering the Powerbond 25% UDP.

Shouldn't affect charging since its not changing the size of the alt pulley, correct?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm not entirely sure because I dont have one (yet). But I have read through A lot of threads about them and I have not read about any issues with charging.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok guys heres what ive found on oem balancers.part #12635652 is no identification breaking point and part #12635649 is breaking point identification.Here is my dilemma,My specific application calls for the 12635652 due to it being 2009.5 model.When I look at the aftermarket balancers its one and the same for 08,09,09.1,09.5 and so on.Can the 12635652 be replaced with the 12635649 and whats the difference?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Not to thread jack: I just called the dealer to have this looked at, set an appointment over the phone. He said "some naturally do have a wobble but we'll see if it needs replacement."

Hello 768MPH,

Once you take your vehicle into the dealer, I would be interested in hearing what the vehicle diagnosis is. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hello 768MPH,

Once you take your vehicle into the dealer, I would be interested in hearing what the vehicle diagnosis is. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care
To be honest Jennifer, I didnt even bother with it at the last minute. I didnt want to spend $100 for them to tell it was normal. I bought a Powerbond UDP and having a shop install it. Cheaper in the long run.

Thank you for the interest though!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
To be honest Jennifer, I didnt even bother with it at the last minute. I didnt want to spend $100 for them to tell it was normal. I bought a Powerbond UDP and having a shop install it. Cheaper in the long run.

Thank you for the interest though!
Hello 768MPH,

You are welcome. I am here if you ever need GM Customer Care.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Cant find any of the package deals.The car is at 102,000 so just out of warranty.
Hello 768MPH,

Your are welcome. I am here if you ever need GM Customer Care.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care
Hi Jennifer.

Is there any way possible you could offer a good faith repair for OneEighty ?
It's a real bummer to be out of warranty by just a couple thousand miles.
It's very likely this condition existed before his expiration but didn't notice it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

There is a spec, that we are not supposed to replace them at. But if it looks wobbly, it get replaced.

OP, where are you located? If your near southeast Ohio, bring it to me. I will cover it. 2k isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi Jennifer.

Is there any way possible you could offer a good faith repair for OneEighty ?
It's a real bummer to be out of warranty by just a couple thousand miles.
It's very likely this condition existed before his expiration but didn't notice it.
Hello Perhaps,

I am happy to assist. I cannot make any guarantees, but I can look into this for you. Please private message me your full name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and the name of the dealer who has serviced your vehicle, and I can start researching your concern.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
426 Posts

I notice mine has a wobble too, it doesn't look right, but I doubt my dealer will do anything about it.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
Jennifer -

There is a larger problem here. I bought a BRAND NEW pulley to replace my non-wobbling pulley (it had wear) and the NEW one wobbles so bad, it snapped my super charger belt today and has already eaten through my accessory belt in less than 3K miles.

I spent 400 bucks on it and had to pin it for my super charger. I lost the ability to see if it was good. Because I pinned it, I could not return it. Basically, I through 400 dollars away to GM on a terribly made product that has a high rate of defect.

I had to purchase an ATI one last week. Even if you cannot refund money or cover warranties, someone at GM needs to take responsibility for these bad parts and start making good one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts