Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of a harmonic balancer falling off? Mine fell off and may have damaged my crankshaft. The crank and the balancer are both rough where they each touch. Can someone please help me out on what I need to do?

·
Banned
389 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of a harmonic balancer falling off? Mine fell off and may have damaged my crankshaft. The crank and the balancer are both rough where they each touch. Can someone please help me out on what I need to do?
The whole balancer fell off, or do you mean the bolt? Haven't seen or heard of the entire balancer coming off since the bolt would need to walk and fall off so you would hear that. Many have problems with wobbling, and belt flying off

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd like to see this. I remember on an old Lexus I had the part where the belt goes just sheared off the balancer itself.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
yup it happens , if someone had it off , they didnt put it back on right

very possible that the crank will need machining , or replaced

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
Yikes.... start saving, **** could get real spendy right now

·
Registered
405 Posts
i would start shopping new engines if this happened to me. Your current one is salvageable but you'll pay more in parts and labor for the rebuild than you will for a junkyard motor.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Didn't the belts start squealing like Sh(t before this happened?

·
The Mustang dude
1,430 Posts
i would start shopping new engines if this happened to me. Your current one is salvageable but you'll pay more in parts and labor for the rebuild than you will for a junkyard motor.
Exactly right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine did e same thing the crank looks ok but the balancer I think is done for I think imma try to get a new one and new bolt and go from there if that doesn’t work I’ll be looking at other options

·
Registered
552 Posts
Jomothelastson06,

I would be looking at an aftermarket ATI damper with its steel hub.
They are typicaly tight and sometimes need honing for correct fit.
This might get you a reprieve if the hub has worn the crank snout .
That and a pinning kit so it cant turn .

ATI pins sideways utilizing its keyway.

If you put another stock type damper on, you could still pin but would need the type that drills from the end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jomothelastson06,

I would be looking at an aftermarket ATI damper with its steel hub.
They are typicaly tight and sometimes need honing for correct fit.
This might get you a reprieve if the hub has worn the crank snout .
That and a pinning kit so it cant turn .

ATI pins sideways utilizing its keyway.

If you put another stock type damper on, you could still pin but would need the type that drills from the end.
Thanks for the info I replaced the damper everything seems to be working fine now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts