Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of looking in the forums and the most recent post was in 2012 I was wondering if in the past 8 years has anyone came out with a better way to change out the head unit and still keep the climate controls?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
What's your end goal? There are a couple options these days. Kayhan has a tablet system (I have this) generally pretty good. There is also a double din with aftermarket climate control unit. You bring your own headunit. I can't remember the name but there's a thread or 2 here. There's the holden unit, but I feel that's the most expensive and least functional, albeit most factory. Finally, some people still have and I once had the VIM hack. it's a coaxial input for video and no touch screen and really would leave you disappointed. The first 2 options I listed are your best bet in my opinion and this coming from someone who has just about tried it all including a carputer with a touchscreen overlay haha.

Reactions: Reel G8

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your end goal? There are a couple options these days. Kayhan has a tablet system (I have this) generally pretty good. There is also a double din with aftermarket climate control unit. You bring your own headunit. I can't remember the name but there's a thread or 2 here. There's the holden unit, but I feel that's the most expensive and least functional, albeit most factory. Finally, some people still have and I once had the VIM hack. it's a coaxial input for video and no touch screen and really would leave you disappointed. The first 2 options I listed are your best bet in my opinion and this coming from someone who has just about tried it all including a carputer with a touchscreen overlay haha.
Well none of the buttons on mine are working anymore I was looking at just replacing it with a new double din but I am intrigued about the tablet never heard about it before

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Well none of the buttons on mine are working anymore I was looking at just replacing it with a new double din but I am intrigued about the tablet never heard about it before
there are some lengthy threads in this section. But a lot has changed too, there's a version 2 out that solves most of the issues. google the company and you can see more. I dont think I can link to them.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I tried the Kayhan first but didn't like it, I prefer physical buttons/knobs for the HVAC controls and the Kenwood is awesome.

Center console Electronics Car Vehicle Multimedia

Reactions: yutzybrian

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
This works for single zone only.
8-034-VE-COMMODORE-GPS-BLUETOOTH-DVD-APPLE-CARPLAY-ANDROID-AUTO-HEAD-UNIT-CAMERA

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There is a dual zone kit too. More expensive. Might be cheaper to fix yours

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
470 Posts
There is another one people use as well.
G8 Designs - Home | Facebook

·
Registered
188 Posts
How is the quality of the hvac controls on that aerpro unit.
Pretty good, they have a slight click feel to them as you rotate the knobs and the side buttons have a low "tick" sound when pressed.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
We have the Aerpro units on both of our G8s. Installation is straight forward, there are videos from down under with excellent instructions. Very easy to add the back up camera, depending on the head unit. Went with the Alpine iLX-W650. The Android car play works great, it just isn't wireless. Phone functions are great and all the steering wheel controls work perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed the AERPRO system in my GXP. The installation was easy but of course I didn't order all of the harnesses I need. What head unit did you all use with yours? I was going to get a Pioneer but i wasn't sure which ISO Harness I needed for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts