Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, i have longtubes with no cats, no mid muffler xpipe in stead, still have stock, resonators, and no rear muffers and its still not loud enough... if i take the resonatora off and replace it with a straight pipe will it make a difference in sound? Im scared it will sound like those lt1 firebirds and camaros

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
damn bud....I guess you could just unbolt the back half of the exahust and just run open headers....

It sounds like you may need a dose of hearing your exhaust from the outside (on the inside our cars really muffle down the exahust even when highly modified). Get a buddy to take it up the road and back while you stand and listen. Then tell me its not loud enough!

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
damn bud....I guess you could just unbolt the back half of the exahust and just run open headers....

It sounds like you may need a dose of hearing your exhaust from the outside (on the inside our cars really muffle down the exahust even when highly modified). Get a buddy to take it up the road and back while you stand and listen. Then tell me its not loud enough!
Exactly. Its easy for me to forget how loud my exhaust really is for everyone else outside of the car (when I run now mufflers). Like Troy said let someone else drive your car to put it in perspective.

Removing the resonators may not increase the overall level of sound but should definitely add some rasp.

·
HPT Pro Tuner
3,815 Posts
Why would you guys say that the loudeness won't increase removing the factory resonators ? I'd say the tone would increase, those resonators are fairly small inside, it'll sound like a dump truck on startups without mufflers though :), but it should be plenty loud.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cutouts right after the catless connections should gain you some more volume.
^ What he said. And If that doesnt do it I dont know what to tell you loo.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Get rid of the stock mufflers. They made my system super quiet when I ran them with obx headers no cats and the x pipe.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
if its too quiet right now you need to have your hearing checked... I would put money on being able to hear that damn thing over a mile away at night... take out all of those big comfy plus seats you've got and that thick acoustic glass the cars come with and make sure you get rid of our soft carpet that has extra dampening to make sure its quiet inside too... you'll quickly realize how obnoxiously loud your current setup is once you do all of that...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I would say open headers. That will sounds like firecrackers going off.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Put a cam in it; that will help too!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ran open headers for a day before connecting the rest of my exhaust, center console rattled like thier was 100$ of loose change, is the car going sound like one of those old ass v8 pickups that sounds like ass thats the main reason, btw my tuner at vector said my cars slower without muffelrs

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I ran open headers for a day before connecting the rest of my exhaust, center console rattled like thier was 100$ of loose change, is the car going sound like one of those old ass v8 pickups that sounds like ass thats the main reason, btw my tuner at vector said my cars slower without muffelrs
Lol yea it shakes the world with open headers. That's pretty much what I run at the track with just a foot long down pipe off each header...and it sounds nasty after you add a cam!

As far as the mufflers; how could it possibly be slower? It's less weight and less restriction...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He said i need some back pressure so idk

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yeah I was gonna say I thought I read somewhere about back pressure things don't really come into play until you make like 700hp

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
no such thing as needed back pressure. i dont even know how the hell someone can even think that.

its all about velocity,

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
He said i need some back pressure so idk
Yeah, guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Stock mufflers cost something like 15HP at around the 500RWHP mark. That's with your standard ARH/Kooks all the way to the axlebacks (headers with 3" collector, 3" to the X, then 2.5" to the axles).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When the tuner at vector motorsports said i need some back pressure with mufflers, i was like oh really lmao

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
Ok guys, i have longtubes with no cats, no mid muffler xpipe in stead, still have stock, resonators, and no rear muffers and its still not loud enough... if i take the resonatora off and replace it with a straight pipe will it make a difference in sound? Im scared it will sound like those lt1 firebirds and camaros
Like everyone was saying...run open headers. I have full exhaust, no cats, no resonators with flowmaster 10s. This setup is pretty f-ing loud!! Especially when you go WOT. The thing screams!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Changing the resonators out would help a little bit. Running 3" tubing all the way back from the headers (with a 3" x-pipe installed too) would help more to increase decibels.

I have ARH LT's with 3" all the way back and Solo axle backs, it's straight piped. In car, its tolerable. Outside, it sounds like a freggin nascar or the like. It's ear shattering. And to be honest, I don't the quality of sound is that great under partial throttle accelerations and below 2-3k RPM. Get it above there though and it sings. I could meet up with you one night this week if you want to hear it. Maybe Wednesday night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts