Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm clean318 and I'm having starter replacement issues, I recently replaced the starter on my 2009 Pontiac g8 gt and isn't not engaging the fly wheel properly, its making this loud grinding sound before it start up, I replaced it three times in two weeks and every starter is doing the same thing. Need help

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Do you know for a fact, that all of the flex plate teeth that mesh with the starter are in good condition ? When you say replaced the starter 3 times, were they what might be called a rebuilt/refurbished unit ? After starter engagement, do you feel that the cranking action/speed is normal (even thou you have a sound that sucks) ? You would think that refurbished units would work correctly. But I'm thinking that the starters on this engine may require the same treatment as the Alternators do. That being, if you want it to work correctly you have to replace them with new OEM ACDelco units rather than go for a rebuilt that may have a lifetime warranty..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same thing replacing it with an ac delco unit,because the remans I perchance were orilleys ultima unit, I dont know weather to get a unit from the gm dealer or from autozone,

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
The OEM ACDelco starter from Amazon says it is brand new for about $156 (plus tax if required) to your door in 2 days Course, that's if you have their yearly paid shipping thing. I'm not sure, but GM dealers might sell refurbished starters vs new ones with their pricing starting at about $180 an up plus shipping etc. It would be best to check in with them on that prior to going that route. They show the P/N as 92202964

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, I'm going to check on one on Amazon..appreciate it..you've been most helpful..

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I was in a jam and had to fit a re-manufactured one from Advance as I going to be working away from home for 3 months and the original one crapped out 48 hours before I was going to leave. It's noisy as hell starting but seems to work OK. When I get back home I will be installing a new AC Delco one. Annoyed the re-manufactured one cost almost double!
Colin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
carguygibby
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing