Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this failure? My Hazard Light operation just failed and a dealer says the BCM may have a problem. Supposedly there is no flasher unit to be replaced and yet there is the clicking sound under the steering column for both the hazard and turn signals just like in the older cars. What gives? I could not get a straight answer from the dealer as to the clicking sound (no sound now from the Hazard operation. I know there have been complaints about the poor switches associated with the hazard light operation, but I believe my switch is OK - feels like it has before the light failure and cessation of the clicking. Any help would be most appreciated by this old man.

Thanks, grandpop09

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
found the problem

Anyone had this failure? My Hazard Light operation just failed and a dealer says the BCM may have a problem. Supposedly there is no flasher unit to be replaced and yet there is the clicking sound under the steering column for both the hazard and turn signals just like in the older cars. What gives? I could not get a straight answer from the dealer as to the clicking sound (no sound now from the Hazard operation. I know there have been complaints about the poor switches associated with the hazard light operation, but I believe my switch is OK - feels like it has before the light failure and cessation of the clicking. Any help would be most appreciated by this old man.

Thanks, grandpop09
Just by happenstance I tried the hazard switch again and after several pushes from different angles there was a change in the 'feel' of the switch and the lights began to flash! All is good again!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Most likely it is slightly misaligned inside the switch. Mine "broke through" and I took the radio face plate apart and put it back together with some super glue and no issues in the last two years....

Hopefully you are good to go now.

·
Registered
567 Posts
+ 1 on the switch,they separate some slightly some more that it is very noticeable, Grasp This; the part of the sw that is making contact is telling the BCM so,The clicking blinker sound is generated by the gauge cluster,when the BCM tells the cluster to play a blinker sound file through a tiny speaker built into the cluster Seriously.Other GM vehicles use the driver door speakers for the blinker sound through the bcm to radio amp

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hazard switch failure/repair

Thanks, grandpop09
Thanks guys. I finally came up with a fix. Once I found out how to remove the radio face plate it was more or less academic. The approach I took to repair was a combination: plastic glue to re-establish the molded in standoffs (poor design - too flimsy). I also shaped a piece of styrofoam into a wedge that I placed behind the switch so there was just a slight compression against the switch when the rear plate assembly was screwed down in place. I suppose other methods could be used, but that is mine.

I also have a 2009 G8 GT wherein the switch seems more recessed than the one I repaired in the 2008 G8 GT, but there has been no problem to date with any malfunction (more than 6 years). So I won't open that one up unless it fails.

There are some very good videos on-line (generated from Australia) that helped a lot as to removing the radio face. I had a lot of trouble exerting enough pressure to the back of the face plate to remove it, so I used a wood strong-back wrapped in cloth across the console so I could use a clamp to apply the pressure needed - piece of cake then.

Have fun,

grandpop09

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
Dealerships never cease to amaze and glad the fix was both inexpensive and easy.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
After reading all the problems owners have with this I just don't use my flashers....the way people drive in my area flashers are just something they can aim at anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
found the problem

Mine is same you have to push the ends of button not center

Just by happenstance I tried the hazard switch again and after several pushes from different angles there was a change in the 'feel' of the switch and the lights began to flash! All is good again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts