Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HD rear sway bar brackets for use with Chevy SS 25mm & 28mm, or large aftermarket bar

http://www.g8board.com/forums/3564969-post7.html

I've got 6 more sets of these weld-on sway bar adapter brackets being fabricated, for those interested. Can make more if there's enough demand.

Reserve your spot - no deposit required, first come, first served. Includes 2 lower (larger) clamp bolts. Re-use existing stock clamp bolts in upper position.

NOTE: Welding on-car is required - brackets overlay the existing rear bar mounts. Limited vertical adjustment for any clearance issues. Brackets are delivered raw, as shown, for best weld penetration - paint & preservation are customer responsibility.

Clamps in photos come with OE 15-17 SS (25mm) wide rear bar kit, not included with bracket package.

Photo #1 & #2 are original prototype brackets. See Photo #5 for final version

Photo #3 shows left side clamp & bar assembled with exhaust system dropped & heat shield removed for installation access

Photo #4 shows exhaust fully assembled & clearance with bar & clamp

Photo #5 is as delivered - top clamp bolt position is slotted to allow customized vertical positioning for any clearance issues with different/larger exhaust, bar clearance, etc., and 2 holes in the clamping surface are for rosette/plug welds to the underlying OE bracket.

$36 plus USPS Priority flat rate small box & 4% for PayPal, total under $45 delivered.

PM or e-mail me if you want to be on the list.

Watch for updates when brackets are ready to ship.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more brackets now available

FINALLY - a new run of 6 sets of brackets (1 set per car) is being picked up today (June 25 2018).

Two sets of brackets are already spoken for, unless either of those have changed their mind, so that means 4 sets currently available. Traveling this week, so shipping will not occur until Monday.

PM or e-mail if interested!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Still available?

And have you figured out a solution to the 3/8" rise when using the Camaro 1LE rear lower control arms (kit P/N 23484878)?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Well, I see your post here:

And here:

But it looks like the rear 2015-2017 SS lower control arms are quite affordable (albeit 3x the cost), which would negate the modifications to the 1LE Camaro rear lower control arms kit ($91.48 for both, 1LE & Z/28 Service Modification Kit - GM (23484878) | GMPartsDirect.com):

Left, P/N 92287742 ($163.57, even cheaper on RockAuto): Lower Control Arm - GM (92287742) | GMPartsDirect.com

Right, P/N 92287743 ($116.70, even cheaper on RockAuto): Lower Control Arm - GM (92287743) | GMPartsDirect.com

2015-2017 SS (with sway bar end link provision for the G8/PPV, 2014 SS, and 2015-2017 SS):

s-l640.jpg

1LE Camaro:

b66c5b413b75148a989f6fe711077769.jpg

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just never think about using Rock Auto as a source....sometimes I think I find something there that seems to be a deal, and the shipping ends up queering the deal. I was looking at an item recently, don't recall what, and got to the shopping cart and just had a jaw-drop when the shipping cost was WAY out of line....it was an exhaust system--price was more than competitive with the big box race suppliers, but they were offering free shipping, where RA does not.

That said, you are correct that using the VF control arms is the better solution, if not incorporating lowering springs or coil overs, or some sort of adjustable lower mount as I did. Aftermarket adjustable arms are available from Spohn, not sure if there are others.

Finally - yes, I do still have the brackets available. Just shipped another pair yesterday, stock on hand is low, so I need to look at maybe making more. $45/pair delivered.
modified rear lower control arm for height adjustment.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I just never think about using Rock Auto as a source....sometimes I think I find something there that seems to be a deal, and the shipping ends up queering the deal. I was looking at an item recently, don't recall what, and got to the shopping cart and just had a jaw-drop when the shipping cost was WAY out of line....it was an exhaust system--price was more than competitive with the big box race suppliers, but they were offering free shipping, where RA does not.

That said, you are correct that using the VF control arms is the better solution, if not incorporating lowering springs or coil overs, or some sort of adjustable lower mount as I did. Aftermarket adjustable arms are available from Spohn, not sure if there are others.

Finally - yes, I do still have the brackets available. Just shipped another pair yesterday, stock on hand is low, so I need to look at maybe making more. $45/pair delivered. View attachment 180072
Sounds good. I'll take a pair.

Also, RockAuto does have their 5% coupon code which usually tends to offset the price of shipping on most items.

And to be clear: The 2015-2017 SS rear lower control arms do not raise or lower a G8?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good question about sedan rear lower arms from VF as far as effect on VE ride height - I don't know, but I'm wagering that Zeta sedans, whether VE (G8), WM (PPV) or VF (SS) & WN (14-17 PPV) are the same as far as the dimension that would dictate ride height (where holes are punched in the LCA). I know the PN's are different between years, but I also know at some point VF & WN used the same arms, with known different springs, and different sway bar setups. Many PPV owners are now running SS sedan production springs which lower the car close to 20mm or about 3/4".

Yes, RA 5% does typically offset all or most of shipping cost, but in the case I mentioned, for an exhaust system, it was way out of line.

For the brackets, send me an e-mail: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
Rock Auto's shipping quotes are sometimes a bit interesting. Case in point, just this week wanted to order a radiator fan switch weighing less than a few ounces. The least expensive option was $7.99 for Fed Ex ground shipping. Normally, such items ship for $2.99 or $3.99 using first class postal mail. Contacted customer service and was told the rates are automatically selected and they cannot adjust the price. Found the same sensor on eBay and purchased it there. Know it's a mere difference of between $4 to $5, but gesh.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I didn't notice this mentioned - what rear bar are you planning to use?

If changing rear lower contorl arms, there might be a reason to choose 14SS or 15-17SS arms.
Does it really matter?

The way the 2015-2017 SS rear lower control arms are designed, it looks like the GXP, 2014 SS, and 2015-2017 SS rear sway bar end links will fit, as I'm sure you know. I wouldn't necessarily be locking myself into one single design by changing out the arms and even if I stuck with the GXP design, at least it'd be reinforced as the OEM arms could break in that area.

One arm to rule them all...

15-17RLCA.jpg

92287743.jpg

92287743-1.jpg

But to answer your question, I'd go all-the-way with the 2015-2017 setup to take advantage of the more direct acting sway bar as is setup on the front of the vehicle. Which is why I'd need your brackets.

Of note, it looks like GM decided to keep moving the end links out on their performance vehicles, as seen on the 2016+ Camaro where the end link is actually attached to the rear knuckle.

EDIT: Added some more images.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just saw this, nice job of illustrating.....one thing to make clear - I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe the rear brakes must be fixed caliper (ie. Brembo) to use the 15-17 bar. I didn't say anything (probably mentioned earlier) since you mentioned going with the 2014 SS bar, which is not impacted by brakes--and 2014 SS uses same brakes as G8 & PPV. There is a 27mm "wide" sedan rear bar available from Super Pro, FWIW - Super Pro in US probably doesn't stock it, but it IS available. Roll Control Sway Bar for HOLDEN CALAIS 2013-On - VF Sedan, Wagon & Ute

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Just saw this, nice job of illustrating.....one thing to make clear - I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe the rear brakes must be fixed caliper (ie. Brembo) to use the 15-17 bar. I didn't say anything (probably mentioned earlier) since you mentioned going with the 2014 SS bar, which is not impacted by brakes--and 2014 SS uses same brakes as G8 & PPV.
I'm sorry that it's not listed in my signature but this is most likely (~99%) correct. But I do have rear Brembos and my intentions were always to go with the rear 2015-2017 SS sway bar so it wouldn't be much of an issue for me. But definitely good information and a disclaimer for those looking into this.

There is a 27mm "wide" sedan rear bar available from Super Pro, FWIW - Super Pro in US probably doesn't stock it, but it IS available. Roll Control Sway Bar for HOLDEN CALAIS 2013-On - VF Sedan, Wagon & Ute
It looks like it's available stateside. But at $359.99, the OEM stuff looks pretty good.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
As for the Super Pro bar, or any rear bar, "Justice Pete" (Peter Basica/JPSS) said run as large a rear bar as possible--and to not worry about the front bar. G8 has a 23mm front bar, 11-13 PPV has 24mm front bar, and all VF/WN (14-17 sedans) got a 26mm front bar. JP's out of the business for now - I think he had to get a real job to be able to afford getting the rest of his daughters through college - so I'm calling his absence an extended sabbatical. Anyway, I don't know of a larger rear bar for the rear "wide" setup, at least for fitment to sedans, with the kickout for spare tire tub clearance. But, this has to be remembered--he was tuning Camaros for track & autocross, with the idea of shifting the balance of the chassis response toward the rear, to help with rotation & tight radius transients, to bring the rear around more readily - ie. more toward oversteer. The Super Pro bar is adjustable (how often do we actually change it, anyway?), and at that price comes with adjustable end links. That supplier does participate in various promo sales, typically - ie. Black Friday. I just had an e-mail for Super Pro citing a 15% off sale, but it was from AU, so I don't know if their US distributor would honor that. I have the 30/27 full kit (still not installed), but it was not stocked--had to wait for it to come from AU, and I suspect that would be the case with an order for the rear 27mm bar only. That said, for the price, the OEM wide bar (~25mm) is a bargain, even if it's not the largest bar available or adjustable, at least using stock end links.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts