Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm going to install my new headers and hi flow cats on the weekend. I have a aussie 2009 hsv E2 senator which is a high performance Pontiac g8. I've got a decent idea on how to install them but have a few questions;

Will I have to relocate my transmission lines? Apparently on the LS3 they are a bigger line which runs over the kframe near the engine mount. I'm assuming they must get pretty close to aftermarket headers compared to the stock ones. Has anyone had to move them on their Pontiac with LS3 auto?

Also how did you go with the space in the engine bay torquing the header bolts up?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have installed pypes headers and ARH in my car. The hardest part is removing the factory exhaust manifolds. Make sure to take all spark plugs out and disconnect the battery. After that the headers install easily from under the car. They are easier to install that you think. Having a helper guide them up does help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Removing the manifolds was easy for. I found the hard part to be removing the cats from the rest of the system. Then again I'm sure you won't he dealing with rust like my car.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Looking for an equivalent pistol pump oil compatible formula. Reason being, after a few months* those PB blaster cans always seem to go flat. Subsequently, am rarely able to use half of the can before such occurs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
PB works great and never actually had one go flat. Maybe it's where you're storing them? Also a torch works great but even after getting the nuts glowing red they wouldn't come off. Eventually had to cut the pipes off with a sawzall. Actually that wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, either. Props to the guys that steal cats for a living, tough work right there haha.

Also, I have a non-aerosol can of WD-40 with a hand sprayer top.. That's my new favorite version of the stuff, you use less and there's more control.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
387 Posts
I use a 50-50 mix of Acetone and ATF, works wonders on the rusty stuff and penetrates much better than PB Blaster IMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Is there a particular automatic tranmission fluid or is one as good as another?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a cheap quart on my work bench I use actually pretty frequently. ATF is ATF as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Very well. Have about four different types on hand and all were produced by Castrol. Think there's some in a pistol pump as well.

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
387 Posts
I've used whatever is at hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts