Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the cam and headers on and now the exhaust hits the tunnel brace sometimes at idle making a slight ping ping ping sound, whats the best fix for this?
I was going to shim it with washers, if not maybe even take it off completely if its not necessary.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine has been removed completely after the headers were installed, and no issues so far.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does it sag?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Another forum member had a creative solution of welding in a flat bar to each of the mid pipes with a hole drilled in it, then a hole in the tunnel brace, and put a rubber bushing in between with studs through each of the holes...made a nifty support isolator. I can't easily find his picture or the thread it was in, but it was a good idea and any exhaust shop should be able to do it for like $50 if you got the parts, available at any hardware store.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i saw that too, considering it

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Agree with both ideas, BMR or remove. Both will work....

·
Registered
494 Posts
I put two washers under each bolt. It was enough for mine to clear

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I took off the tunnel brace today and I still have the sound..
I cant figure out where its hitting.. Ill try to get a video

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
So I took off the tunnel brace today and I still have the sound..
I cant figure out where its hitting.. Ill try to get a video
If it's a slight rattle that happens with the throttle, check to ensure all your O2 sensors are tight. May need a little lock-tight.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Loosen exhaust connections, place wooden block between brace and pipes, tighten exhaust, remove block.

Reactions: GT Drew

·
Registered
735 Posts
I called ARH when installed mine about the rattle. Their midpipes come with big aluminum spacers to drop the crossmember a quarter inch, but they were still hitting. They told me to loosen the ball socket connectors, use a jack to push the pipes up to the body, tighten the ball connectors, and it will drop down to the right height. Did that and now they're right between the body and crossmember and no more banging/rattling even over speed bumps.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Loosen exhaust connections, place wooden block between brace and pipes, tighten exhaust, remove block.
+1 on what he said. I did the samething but used a piece of cardboard folded over and it worked great. No rattles now and I'm running the stock brace without any washer/spacers being used. Just takes a little time and patience to adjust things.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a rattle after my header install last weekend and figured out the axle back section had shifted and was rattling on a heat shield. I simply shifted it back into place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.