Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
CBR629
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a know on my door about 11pm that my headlights were on I went outside they looked like my daytime running lights. The car been sitting for a week but that's normal and I had led"s in for over a year, did a search and could not find the problem on here. Any ideas would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
The DRL, Low Beam, an High Beam headlights all have relays looking for a ground command from within the BCM. The way I'm reading this (an if you feel that its the DRL circuit firing off), you could pull either the DRL fuse or its relay. Then wait to see if you get another note, before having to go deeper into T/S this.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Understand the purpose of drl (daytime running lamps), however, have never been a fan of them especially when the headlamp bulbs are used. Now parking or fog lamps are a different story. Reason being, quite a bit of heat is generated by the headlights which sometimes melt/burns the housing, wiring, etc. Of course, much of it is contingent upon how long the vehicle is being operated on a consistent basis along with other variables. Having said all of that, removed the DRL relay a long time ago and believe it's located in the passenger instrument panel fuse compartment. Also, be sure to check the condition of the battery ground bolt... https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech-lounge/224746-battery-ground-bolt-read-check-yours.html.

·
CBR629
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok the ground bolt was fine and I pulled the fuse to the DRL left for work at 3am lights was still on. I ordered a headlight switch since its over 10 years old and when I cycled the lights on and off they went out. Not sure that solved the problem but I need a new switch anyway based on the age. I will keep you posted

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Since the headlamp switch needed to be replaced, guess it's the lowest hanging fruit. However, pulling the relay eliminates the daytime running lamps and should override a faulty headlamp switch. Unless the incorrect relay was removed accidentally as it's R11 in the instrument panel fuse block. Tracking down electrical gremlins can be a chore at times and be sure to keep us posted.

·
CBR629
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I removed the DRL relay and the lights stay off all night and I hope this helps anyone else who may come across this problem. Thank you all for your help

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
If your trying to confuse me, you were successful. If you left for work at 0300 hrs, it still had to be dark outside you would think. That condition would have automatically forced the car to turn on all the exterior lights, (as long as the lights switch was in the *auto* mode). The only way to cancel the headlights would be to select the parking lights position, or cycle the switch into an out of the *off* position once (stealth mode), which would shutdown all of the exterior lights as well as the I/P cluster background lights along with it.
The DRL F21-15A fuse not only powers up the DRL relay , but also is the power source that illuminates the headlights in the (somewhat dimmer) daytime running lights condition. Now if you had a car (that had originally been optioned for Canada), the car would have been wired to keep the DRL lights on full time (in daylight), vs having the ability to select which way you might want them to be. If you actually pulled the correct fuse, those lights had to shutdown. If you accidentally pulled the wrong fuse an removing the DRL relay shutdown the lights, that would indicate that the relay was stuck in the energized position.

For me to understand correctly as to whats happening here, you need to do some various light switching combinations, an post the results (like what stays on, what turns off in daylight conditions as well as night time condition etc).

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Awhile ago, after pulling the daytime running lamps fuse the lights continued to illuminate. It was only after removing the drl relay they stopped illuminating. Should have been more clear as to why it was stated to remove the drl relay in lieu of removing the fuse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
cbr629
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing