Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to change out my headlights. Having the entire front repainted and of course have to drop the front bumper which is necessary to replace the headlights. So now I ask you guys what are the best headlights to get. Would rather stay away from OEM and go with HID. I know very little here so hope i can get your suggestions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Spec d tuning. They look great and they come bright as ever. I think they are perfect compared to my stock fogged up lights
Hey how quality is the projector on those spec d lights compared to OEM projector? That was the only thing keeping me away from them was not knowing the quality , as well as if anyone's had problems with the LED surround burning out early.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm going with the Spyder and their more subdued DRL strip. It gives the headlights an Audi look.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Spyder, spec-d, unknown brand headlights, etc. just throw them in the trash. They don't use good projectors, so the cutoff is terrible, and HIDs will end up melting the reflector bowl over time. LED's don't give great output unless the projector or housing is designed for it.

Our factory projectors are designed for halogen bulbs, so another reason why HID's and LED's suck in factory headlights. If you are looking for good output, retrofit the factory headlights with D2S projectors and the bracket in the following thread, or find Nathanael on FB or his company "custom brackets and designs - retrofit soulutions" through google

https://www.g8board.com/forums/8-appearance-detailing/257657-those-you-interested-doing-d2s-4-0-retrofit.html

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Zpappas. I am going to bite the bullet and give the Spec D a try. Hope they are worth it. Everyone seems to have different opinions about these. The guy who is going to paint the bumper, hood and fenders is going to do the install.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I'm happy with TYC stock style replacement headlights and LED bulbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Spec d tuning. They look great and they come bright as ever. I think they are perfect compared to my stock fogged up lights
Hey how quality is the projector on those spec d lights compared to OEM projector? That was the only thing keeping me away from them was not knowing the quality , as well as if anyone's had problems with the LED surround burning out early.
Personally i think they look great and they do exactly what i want them to do... light up the road at night where the lense on my oem headlights were to messed up to do so. I find the spec d headlighrs extremely clear and i reccomend them.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Combine the best of both worlds. I have Spyder headlights that were retrofitted with high quality projectors and HID. If I were to do it now, I'd start with the Spec-D lights. I would NOT run either the Spyder or the Spec-D out of the box as the internals are low end Chinese garbage.
Don't forget to finish it off with the Morimoto LED fog lights.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for the info Zpappas. I am going to bite the bullet and give the Spec D a try. Hope they are worth it. Everyone seems to have different opinions about these. The guy who is going to paint the bumper, hood and fenders is going to do the install.
Where are you taking the car to get painted? My buddy's father owns a shop in North Harford area and I was really disappointed with my front end repaint.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you can't see very well, maybe restore the lenses. I've never had an issue with the stock light output as long as the lens wasn't cloudy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am planning to retrofit dual projectors into the OEM housing using Morimoto H1 Bixenon projectors and Panamera shroud.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I work in the Owings Mills area, I know the guys up at Caliber Collision. They just did a great job on my boss' Cadillac. And their rate is the best that I have found. $900. And they are going to obviously drop the front bumper and do the light replacements.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried that with some kit that was recommended. Did a horribly job and I followed the instructions to a tee.

·
The Mustang dude
1,346 Posts
Bumper has to come off to pull the headlights??

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
It has to be removed, but don't recall if completely or partially. There are screws or attachments inaccessible with the bumper cover on the car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As I work in the Owings Mills area, I know the guys up at Caliber Collision. They just did a great job on my boss' Cadillac. And their rate is the best that I have found. $900. And they are going to obviously drop the front bumper and do the light replacements.
oh wow that's a great price. I think I paid $1300 and if you look closely enough you can see sanding marks from where he repaired part of my hood. I'll have to check that place out in a year or two when I respray again.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JAYDBPR................what are you using for your front license plate ?? Maybe I can get something that would screw in UNDER the bumper and have them fill the holes that are there since they are going to REFILL the holes that I had done when I had the Pontiac dart removed. Body shop then did a great job but in the past 3 years, all is bubbling where the holes were.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts