Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 Base
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 G8 base model and my headliner was sagging so I decided to replace it. As I was taking it down I see that all the wiring was glued to the backing board and on both the drivers side and passengers side there was about an inch and a half of the backing that was broken off running about a foot parallel to the doors. Is there any way that I can fix it or do I need to get a new one? If I do where would I find one?

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
If your headliner "does not" include the sun roof P/N 92219138 "it" has been discontinued. If it "does" include the sun roof P/N 9229136, its still available new, but at a price (with shipping) that has drifted into the 4 didget dollar range. Its looks like it would be best to try to swing a deal for a good used one from any scraped G8 out there (all models used the same P/N). Or see if the backing material can be glued with the help of a thin aluminum dubler fashioned up.to its upside an possibly even to its down facing side. I just bought a 1' by 2' sheet of .019 thick bendable aluminum (for another project) as an example of something that you might be able use to repair your existing headliner backing board back to its original one piece strength.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have you owned the car since new? That sort of damage happens when the side curtain airbags go off. Not sure about putting an aluminum in front of them babies!! They were designed with a material to be pushed out of the way.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 Base
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you owned the car since new? That sort of damage happens when the side curtain airbags go off. Not sure about putting an aluminum in front of them babies!! They were designed with a material to be pushed out of the way.
Oh, okay. I'm pretty new to understanding cars but I'm eager and improving quickly! The car is relatively new to me but not my family. She was in an accident with my sister and I'm trying to repair the cosmetics for my brothers birthday. Do you have any ideas as to what I should do and can do myself?

·
Registered
353 Posts
well the quick way would be to see if you can find a good used one. Hard since if they are wrecked chances are pretty good the curtains went off. Short of that I am not sure. I have a hole in mine I plan on patching with some flat material from another headliner and securing it with a fiberglass material, something that will bite into the cardboard material. I am doing a flat piece, that is easy, you having the curves of the top of the dorm thats hard stuff to duplicate.

SO not quite sure what to tell ya, sorry,

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 Base
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the quick way would be to see if you can find a good used one. Hard since if they are wrecked chances are pretty good the curtains went off. Short of that I am not sure. I have a hole in mine I plan on patching with some flat material from another headliner and securing it with a fiberglass material, something that will bite into the cardboard material. I am doing a flat piece, that is easy, you having the curves of the top of the dorm thats hard stuff to duplicate.

SO not quite sure what to tell ya, sorry,
So I've been looking for a used one for the past 4 months and haven't had any luck yet.

I've decided to try spray foam and just carving it to fit the board. That way it's a softer material and I don't have to worry about replacing the whole thing. Wish me luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.