Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headliner started to develop a little looseness around the grab handle areas and is now pretty well de-laminated on the passenger side so it's time to look to get it re-done. Since I am OCD about my cars and generally don't trust others to not screw something up, I was thinking about removing the head lliner myself and taking it to an auto upholstery shop to get re-covered.

My question is for those who have done it, how tough is it and what are the steps to remove the headliner? I've seen the manual instructions and they sound like overkill on what all needs to be removed and was wondering what really needs to be removed to get the headliner out and how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good question I was wondering myself. Mine is peeling everywhere (Houston humidity) but I reattach it with black thumb tacks on all the corners. Works for now and out of sight.

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I trusted that they wouldn't screw anything up I might but I wonder how well they know how to remove it without scratching any plastic trim or damaging anything. G8 visor retaining clips look over engineered in how they are mounted so I wonder how well an upholstery shop would know how to remove and re-install them. (Look them up in the forums and you'll see they are a bit complicated to remove and install).

I'll look for a highly rated shop but that doesn't mean they can't screw something up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did the headliner in my wife's G last weekend. Don't recall how long it took just to remove, but I noticed with removal, removing fabric and cleaning the board was about 4 1/2 hours. The instructions I read had you removing a lot of unnecessary items.

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the headliner in my wife's G last weekend. Don't recall how long it took just to remove, but I noticed with removal, removing fabric and cleaning the board was about 4 1/2 hours. The instructions I read had you removing a lot of unnecessary items.
What were the unnecessary items? I've read the manual version and it seemed like much more than would be required so your feedback on what you actually did is what I'm after. Thanks in advance for any additional input.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Find a shop that does a fair amount of headliners. Then, since you're doing it anyway, have it redone in suede.
I'm glad I looked here first. I wondered what the suede upgrade cost but looks worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I'm glad I looked here first. I wondered what the suede upgrade cost but looks worth it.
Make sure you get Alcantara. It's synthetic suede that's durable and better suited for automotive applications.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I do not know personaly but I have been told that taking out both front seats makes it much easier

·
Registered
343 Posts
I did my own headliner. Some tips i learned for removal/installation.

You don't have to remove the seats. I only removed the both front seat headrests, then slide them both all the way up.

You don't have to remove the weatherstripping.

You do have to remove the A, B, and C pillar trim. A and C are held on with a screw and some pins, easy to remove. For the B pillar, you have to first pop off the center section by grabbing both sides and pulling off hard, it will feel like you're going to break it but you won't. Then the top section screws are exposed to remove.

The area around the third brake light is held up with some pop in clips. Gently feel for them, then pull down one by one. A trim pry tool helps. Unscrew and remove the third brake light before removing the headliner from the car.

Remove the headliner from the passenger rear door. You'll have to twist it a little, two people is best.

If you crack some of the edges getting it out, use hot glue to fix the cracks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headliner started to develop a little looseness around the grab handle areas and is now pretty well de-laminated on the passenger side so it's time to look to get it re-done. Since I am OCD about my cars and generally don't trust others to not screw something up, I was thinking about removing the head lliner myself and taking it to an auto upholstery shop to get re-covered.

My question is for those who have done it, how tough is it and what are the steps to remove the headliner? I've seen the manual instructions and they sound like overkill on what all needs to be removed and was wondering what really needs to be removed to get the headliner out and how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your input.
I purchased the TYC assemblies from Rock Auto and a DDM HID kit. Since it was a cold November day, I did the swap quickly, and didn't give much a thought to putting the moisture caps back on as I've never had issues before with vehicles that had a similar setup. Well, that bit me in the a$$. First rain/snow/etc we had, they fogged up. I lived with it through winter dealing with it every time we got precip or if I took it through a car wash. Then I'd leave the hood propped open to let the heat dissipate ou Lucky Patcher Kodi nox t.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The headliner is involved especially if you have a sunroof. If you have a sunroof you will have to remove:

1. The left and right dash tweeter covers (some clips may break when you remove this. Buy clips before hand) The sunroof headliner has a harness that runs from the sunroof switch to the top of the dash under the left tweeter speaker cover.
2. Left and right A, B and C pillar covers
3. Visors and the holders
4. Sunroof switch and overhead lights
5. Rear headliner light
6. Front seats head rests
7. Rear third brake light
8. Rear headliner handles

The headliner drops and will exit out of the rear passenger door. I placed a cloth over the front and rear seats to avoid scratches. You will have to move real slow when you take it out because it can crack and break on the edges, upfront on by the sunroof switch and on the back by the third brake light.

If it does crack you can use Gorilla epoxy where it cracks and let it sit overnight to harden.
Then you need to remove all the glue and foam from the headliner. Use a plastic brush to do that. If you brush too hard you will tear into the headliner itself.
Do not apply too much glue on the headliner material and the headliner itself or the material will not go on smoothly.

When you apply the new headliner material you have to go slow to apply it since this headliner is not flat so you have to account for the peaks and valleys.

A strong suggestion here:
If you have the patience remove the headliner yourself so you know not to break anything and if it does you know what broke and repair it.
Have an upholstery shop install the headliner material to the headliner because they should be able to install it really well and professionally.
Install the headliner yourself after the material has been applied so that you know everything is solid and not broken behind the headliner and panels you have removed.

Good Luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
...If you have the patience remove the headliner yourself so you know not to break anything and if it does you know what broke and repair it.
Have an upholstery shop install the headliner material to the headliner because they should be able to install it really well and professionally.
Install the headliner yourself after the material has been applied so that you know everything is solid and not broken behind the headliner and panels you have removed...
That's my plan. I'll pull the headliner out of the GXP and take it to the upholstery shop I trust to get the material reinstalled. With my old GTO I tried re-gluing it myself only to have it fall down again after a couple weeks. I was very not pleased.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
That's my plan. I'll pull the headliner out of the GXP and take it to the upholstery shop I trust to get the material reinstalled. With my old GTO I tried re-gluing it myself only to have it fall down again after a couple weeks. I was very not pleased.
That's because what separates is the foam and not the actual adhesive. So by regluing, you're gluing the foam together which isn't effective.

As you can tell, replacing the headliner material is the true solution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts