Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headliner started to develop a little looseness around the grab handle areas and is now pretty well de-laminated on the passenger side so it's time to look to get it re-done. Since I am OCD about my cars and generally don't trust others to not screw something up, I was thinking about removing the head lliner myself and taking it to an auto upholstery shop to get re-covered.

My question is for those who have done it, how tough is it and what are the steps to remove the headliner? I've seen the manual instructions and they sound like overkill on what all needs to be removed and was wondering what really needs to be removed to get the headliner out and how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good question I was wondering myself. Mine is peeling everywhere (Houston humidity) but I reattach it with black thumb tacks on all the corners. Works for now and out of sight.

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I trusted that they wouldn't screw anything up I might but I wonder how well they know how to remove it without scratching any plastic trim or damaging anything. G8 visor retaining clips look over engineered in how they are mounted so I wonder how well an upholstery shop would know how to remove and re-install them. (Look them up in the forums and you'll see they are a bit complicated to remove and install).

I'll look for a highly rated shop but that doesn't mean they can't screw something up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did the headliner in my wife's G last weekend. Don't recall how long it took just to remove, but I noticed with removal, removing fabric and cleaning the board was about 4 1/2 hours. The instructions I read had you removing a lot of unnecessary items.

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the headliner in my wife's G last weekend. Don't recall how long it took just to remove, but I noticed with removal, removing fabric and cleaning the board was about 4 1/2 hours. The instructions I read had you removing a lot of unnecessary items.
What were the unnecessary items? I've read the manual version and it seemed like much more than would be required so your feedback on what you actually did is what I'm after. Thanks in advance for any additional input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts