Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok it sounds like everyone is running into the same headliner failure as I am. My problem is the material is separating from the hard board because the glue or whatever you want to call it is turning into crumbs of sticky stuff. Then the material falls down and flaps in the wind on both rear sides where it meets the glass. Has anyone repaired this problem in an inexpensive way? Can the material be removed from the hard board? Cleaning both sides and reapplied with new adhesive. I would like to keep the OEM look. Or can new material added to the hard board after cleaning it up in some way? Anyone gone this direction and can add some feedback?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The foam has deteriorated. That is what is crumbling off. You will need to replace the entire headliner material. Get it replaced at a auto upholstery shop or get the material and put it in yourself if you know how to do it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Damn, I am not afraid of hard work. Just replaced the rear engine plate gasket and rear main seal. Who do we blame here? Holden or GM? To replace the head liner seems like a pain in the ass. All the clips that can break. The air bags and so on. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi speedracers08, to my knowledge, there is no way to repair your headliner if its sagging like that. you will need to take out the old headliner material and replace it with new material. if you scroll up, you will notice I posted a step by step video on how to take off the headliner yourself. Using the video, you will notice it is quite an easy job to do. After you take out the headliner, you can take off the old headliner material from the hard board and clean all the old glue. After, if you don't know how to install the new fabric, then take it to an auto upholstery shop. After I had taken mine out and cleaned it up, I called around and was quoted 50 to install the new material on the board. Some wanted to charge like 150-200 with the board already taken out so don't give up if you get quoted that, keep calling around. If I had not removed my headliner myself, it would have cost me between 300-400 dollars to get the headliner repaired and who knows how many clips and pieces they would have broken and not told me about it. Im glad I did mine myself so I know I did not break anything but 1 piece, which is stated on my video so you wont break your piece off. Total cost for my headliner to be redone cost me less than a 100 bucks. As for the way it looks now, it looks 1000% like if its OEM (brand new). If I had to do mine all over again, it would probably take me about 1-2 hours to get it all done. Its not hard at all. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you for your encouragement. I have been researching the job. Right now I am having a problem with the color and availability. My interior is I guess what they call charcoal grey? Any reliable sources known?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the late response. I would tell you to send an email to the place where I got mine from. I bet they have your color there for your g8. I got headliner material from headliner doctor on amazon.

·
out front & pulling away
208 Posts
Luisc thanks for the video. After removing panels, clips, fasteners, sunvisors etc. When you actually pull down headliner to remove, are there attachment clips on the headliner itself? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After you remove everything that is mentioned in the video, the headliner will want to fall down, 3 or 4 Velcro pieces will try to hold the headliner up which won’t be enough so just support it by your hand. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
out front & pulling away
208 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just did this a few months ago.. it was a pain but was able to remove it myself. Replaced the headliner and rear deck material with black suede which was professionally rewrapped by a local shop.

This video was helpful to get me going in the removal and install process:

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I just did this a few months ago.. it was a pain but was able to remove it myself. Replaced the headliner and rear deck material with black suede which was professionally rewrapped by a local shop.

This video was helpful to get me going in the removal and install process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnTmPU0yu4
Interesting video. Didn't know it could be taken out through the LHD driver side door.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Were the seats in the way? What did you do with the passenger seat? Move it all the way up?
How much did you bend the headliner to get it out?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Removing the back seats will make it easier. Also my rear desk fabric was coming apart like the headliner. The rear seats have to come out if you want to remove the rear deck to match the fabric.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did the rear deck last year.
You are saying by removing the rear seats not the front passenger side seat, its easier to remove the headliner.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
13 Participants
SRG8
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing