Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do g8s have the wiring for caprice heated mirrors?

I have a 2011 caprice that did not come with heated mirrors, but I picked up a pair online and they work with the defroster on.

So I don't have to pull 4 door panels off, does anyone know if g8s have the wiring for the heated mirrors too?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I installed heated mirrors on my G8 a few years ago... the wiring is not present, at least not on a 2009.5.

I bought some bulk terminals to add 2 pins to each side, connected the GND to a screw close by. The +12V I used a 12V from the center console with a relay to turn on with the rear defrost. The circuit I tapped is for the cig-lighter, it's fused for 40A (or maybe 30A), the mirrors are fused for 10A on the PPV.

Terminals can be found here: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/jst-sales-america-inc/SSF-21T-P1-4/773781

Works great!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Western Pete and others , did you swap just glass or complete mirror assemblies ?
Is the PPV or SS mirror similar or the same?
Those cars are not common here .
I personally , have never seen a PPV standing still and the 2 SS 's I have , I wasn't looking at the mirrors at the time.
Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mirrors are the same, I actually put one of my old ppv mirrors on my dad's g8 because his would rattle on the highway, but now he wants heated mirrors

Looks like it'll take some wiring, thanks for the info WesternPete

·
Registered
66 Posts
Western Pete and others , did you swap just glass or complete mirror assemblies ?
Is the PPV or SS mirror similar or the same?
I swapped the whole mirror assemblies - but kept my white "caps" as the black PPV ones were very scratched up.

Mounting points are the same for all mirrors G8, PPV, SS.

G8 and 2011-2013 PPV mirrors have a 6-pin connector.
2014+ PPV and SS has a different connector with more pins, to accommodate puddle lights, blind-spot indication, etc.

2011-2013 PPV mirrors are outwardly the same as the G8 mirrors, I'm using the G8 caps on the PPV mirrors. The heated PPV mirrors were an option on the PPV detective trim only, not very common.

It should be possible to wire up 2014+ mirrors to work on an older car - but no new features as BCM/ECU support isn't there of course.

·
Registered
2012 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
22 Posts
I swapped the whole mirror assemblies - but kept my white "caps" as the black PPV ones were very scratched up.

Mounting points are the same for all mirrors G8, PPV, SS.

G8 and 2011-2013 PPV mirrors have a 6-pin connector.
2014+ PPV and SS has a different connector with more pins, to accommodate puddle lights, blind-spot indication, etc.

2011-2013 PPV mirrors are outwardly the same as the G8 mirrors, I'm using the G8 caps on the PPV mirrors. The heated PPV mirrors were an option on the PPV detective trim only, not very common.

It should be possible to wire up 2014+ mirrors to work on an older car - but no new features as BCM/ECU support isn't there of course.
My 2012 Caprice 9C1 has heated mirrors. I think it just depends how the PD optioned the car. For example my 9C1 doesn’t have automatic headlights. All the others I’ve seen do. ¯\(ツ)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts