Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
VE SSV commodore series 1 sport wagon
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The best thing about the wagon is the exhaust parts are the same as the sedan the Ute exhaust is longer

the next best thing is the tow bar package for the sedan and wagon are the same ,but the Ute is different.

all share the same shocks springs and drive train packages with Ute and wagons at SV 6 and SS level having posi rear end LSD SV6 is the same as G 6 I think Pontiac called the v6 model a G6 is that right?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
1,214 Posts
Yep, just a G8 base model.. This has the V6.
GT has the 6.0L
GXP has the 6.2L

·
Registered
284 Posts
Great looking wagons!
It’s a shame the US govt made GM close down the Pontiac brand and keep boring Buick! We might have been able to purchase the wagon or UTE here in the states.
Not sure that was the reason.

Holden CLOSED in Australia in 2017 along with Ford and Toyota factories as the Australian government decided not to subsidise the car industry any more that EVERY OTHER country subsidises, so the VE/VF/G8 died with it. Can't send them to the USA if they don't make them. Till then it was Australia's most popular car and they spent a billion dollars fitting out the factory for VE/VF production that lasted just 10 years.

It was such a short sighted politically motivated idea. It left a million holden owners going back to 2000 with parts fast dimminishing.

Then they made excuses that the unions made car manufacture too expensive which was complete BS. Holdens aka G8s were CHEAPER to buy in the USA than here, so it wasn't manufacturing cost that killed them. It was dearer to make a "Commodore" in Germany at OPEL which was the last model was and what a heap of SH*t that was. Front wheel drive. You didn't get that and neither should we. Production lasted 12 months then the factory was sold to Peugeot/Renault;

And when the Australian factories closed the suppliers closed so they stopped making new parts as well as legacy parts for older models. Thats why you don't have Pontiac G8s any more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
VE V8 Wagons were different but not that popular. Police had them here for a while as highway patrol. They were more for loading up the back with drug and alchol testing equipment than for pursuit work. The police workhorses were the sedans . The sedan SS, SSVs and HSVs were the most popular whilst the utes were for the every day petrol head and quite popular

·
Registered
195 Posts
Pontiac was axed as part of the 2008/09 US Government bailout as was Saturn and Hummer was sold.

Buick went on because of its immense popularity in China and they had lots of new product in the pipeline.

Pontiac didn't really have many if any new projects on the books so it was expendable.

General Motors - Wikipedia

·
Registered
VE SSV commodore series 1 sport wagon
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
VE V8 Wagons were different but not that popular. Police had them here for a while as highway patrol. They were more for loading up the back with drug and alchol testing equipment than for pursuit work. The police workhorses were the sedans . The sedan SS, SSVs and HSVs were the most popular whilst the utes were for the every day petrol head and quite popular
The wagons are limited run at the end of the sedans as they have the wheel base. I have owned both sedan and wagons in the VE variety and in my opinion the wagon put power to ground better than sedan and I have had both supercharged. It’s a personal preference on what people like and I happen to think the VE VF wagons were the best Holden ever made.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pontiac was axed as part of the 2008/09 US Government bailout as was Saturn and Hummer was sold.

Buick went on because of its immense popularity in China and they had lots of new product in the pipeline.

Pontiac didn't really have many if any new projects on the books so it was expendable.

General Motors - Wikipedia
OK but Pontiac was just a name for Commodore like Vauxhaul in the UK, They could have called Commodore a Chevrolet or anything in fact.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looking here at the G8 community makes me very proud of our humble commodore.

Really looking forward to swapping information and stories on the VE SS/ G8

Here are some photos of my SSV sport wagon as I know our US cousins didn’t get these.

thanks for keeping Holden / Pontiac alive in the US

BEAUTIFUL!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.