Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've been battling this clanging noise over bumps since I bought the car in April. I did not know it happened until I decided to roll the windows down one day once I got her home. It's coming from the driver-side rear wheel area I think. The sound is produced driving over bumps when going 10-35mph and is pretty embarrassing. Applying brakes while going over the bumps does not help. I've checked exhaust, sway bar endlinks, heat shields, and brakes to no avail.

Any Ideas?

Here's a video (sorry about the orientation): https://vimeo.com/67354690

***SOLVED***

Stupid rock...

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Wow, sounds like something is loose about ready to fall off, and I would not drive it much with it making that noise. I would get it checked out ASAP!

Any mods? How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's right at 73k miles and bone stock. I checked and everything major felt rock solid...nothing as budging at all. Although, I had it on ramps. I'll check later today with a jack and see if something is different when the suspension isn't under a load.

It's almost as if the noise is too "light" to be a major component...if that makes sense? There's no thump or clink, just a light "ting."

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
And your sure the noise is coming from the rear of the vehicle?

I'd take it to the dealership and have them diagnose under your Powertrain warranty. We could guess all day long, and still not hit the cause. Suspension noises are a bitch to diagnose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, about 90% sure it's the rear. I'll swing by the dealership in the next day or so if I can't figure it out. My schedule is pretty tough right now, so can't really afford any down time.

Thanks for your input!

·
Suspension Guru
1,226 Posts
carefully, on an empty road, stick your head out the window and verify that it's the back and not the front.

it seems to be the rear from the video, but it's hard to say.

take a rubber mallet and start taping on things, check in the lower control arms, maybe something has got stuck in there and is moving around over bumps.

how did you check the swaybar links?

is the ride height even side to side? (Measure from the bottom of the rim to the fender)

make sure you tap on the exhaust with the hammer when you are looking at it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
So, I've been battling this clanging noise over bumps since I bought the car in April. I did not know it happened until I decided to roll the windows down one day once I got her home. It's coming from the driver-side rear wheel area I think. The sound is produced driving over bumps when going 10-35mph and is pretty embarrassing. Applying brakes while going over the bumps does not help. I've checked exhaust, sway bar endlinks, heat shields, and brakes to no avail.

Any Ideas?

Here's a video (sorry about the orientation): https://vimeo.com/67354690

Hello vmorel1,

Sorry you're having this issue currently. The sound definitely sounds like something a dealer should have no problem identifying. I see you mentioned you will be taking it to one soon. Please keep us informed as I am interested and will assist where possible. Here to help.

Reggie B.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First, thanks to everyone for their help...

ROB! You are the man!!

check in the lower control arms, maybe something has got stuck in there and is moving around over bumps.
^ Genius! I guess after reading all of the problems people have posted about LCA's, Sway-bar links, etc. I just assumed something was wrong haha.

The Culprit:

That rock must have pulled some kind of matrix maneuver to find itself down in the control arm. Took me forever to finagle it out.

Thanks again! You may have just earned some future business!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have the same exact issue thats been mystifying me for some time now. I'll have to check out for a loose object in there. Thanks for putting up this thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts