Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a cam swap on a g8 gt this weekend and I've never done one on a car that has a extra trans cooler (for his yank 3200), so not familiar with this connector. Auxillary cooler is on the front of the AC condenser, and there are 2 screws that go from the aux cooler, through the AC condenser, then through the radiator and terminate there with a ring looking thing. Pics below. The starting connector is the black square ribbed pull tab.

I don't want to mess anything up but I need the aux cooler and AC condenser separates from the radiator and fans so I can pull them out of the car. Then bend the AC condenser down for the cam swap. How do I disconnect? Sorry if this is a dumb question just a first for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think those are like a zip tie. Sort of a one time use. Unless you can get under the tab with a pick or something. I believe auto parts store sell them separately for mounting coolers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So do I take needle nose to the round ring and pull and hope it pops off? Or saw the screw in the middle somewhere if I can even manage that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If its the same as one of the coolers I've done before those ARE a sort of zip tie...gunna have to find somewhere to cut that just be careful not to bend any of the thin metal on the radiator..the tie runs through the radiator and/or ac part bit it looks like you MIGHT be able to get some snips under the tab on the aux cooler side of that tie...just make sure tou support the cooler so it doesn't fall...hope this helps!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
585 Posts
If its the same as one of the coolers I've done before those ARE a sort of zip tie...gunna have to find somewhere to cut that just be careful not to bend any of the thin metal on the radiator..the tie runs through the radiator and/or ac part bit it looks like you MIGHT be able to get some snips under the tab on the aux cooler side of that tie...just make sure tou support the cooler so it doesn't fall...hope this helps!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Check out this pic. I got a utility knife and was able to get it on the plastic screw shaft between the aux cooler and the AC condenser. Was gently sawing back and forth and all of a sudden PSHHH!!!! Freon and smoke/steam bust out. The pressure of me cutting the plastic screw shaft punctured the AC condenser. Lovely!!! Finally ended "chewing" at the square ribbed end with snips and got it torn away enough to be able to pull it out then. Wish I had known to do that at first instead if trying to cut the shaft. SMH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts