Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an electrical issue and I'm looking for the 175-amp "mega fuse" fuse under the hood. I'm not sure where it is located and I've seen a post about it being near a ground, and following the alternator wires to it, but I have no luck in doing so. any pictures or further explanations would help greatly!

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts

Don't have access to a G8 and unable to provide additional assistance pinpointing the location of the 175 amp mega fuse. However, what electrical issue(s) are being experienced?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Don't have access to a G8 and unable to provide additional assistance pinpointing the location of the 175 amp mega fuse. However, what electrical issue(s) are being experienced?
I forgot to disconnect the battery, and I was tightening the ground nut on the back of the alternator. It sparked and now my car is completely dead. Not sure what to do now.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Having looked at my car over the years and as per the wiring diagram, I can see that the positive wire harness assembly starts at the underhood battery jump post. From there, 2 wires go down low. One wire with its included 175 fuse-link goes to the Alternator. At that location, another big wire is crimped into the attaching alternator lug, an is routed around the front of the engine an up to the underhood fuse panel to power it up with hot battery bus power. The other big wire going from that underhood battery jump post, is routed down an around the front of the engine, an back to the starter...
Located this post which may or may not provide some clarity.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have an electrical issue and I'm looking for the 175-amp "mega fuse" fuse under the hood. I'm not sure where it is located and I've seen a post about it being near a ground, and following the alternator wires to it, but I have no luck in doing so. any pictures or further explanations would help greatly!
Watch the attached Youtube video for the 175A fusible link location.

If you can't see the video go to the positive battery terminal under the hood and follow the cable. The fusible link is rectangular and wrapped in insulation material about 300mm from the positive terminal end. It looks to me that you will have to buy a complete new cable which has the link incorporated in it.

Also check the two 60A fusible links at the positive battery post in the trunk under the positive insulated battery cap. This is sold as a single unit for around $100 from other posts I saw.

I found this by googling VE COMMODORE 175A fusible link

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Watch the attached Youtube video for the 175A fusible link location.

If you can't see the video go to the positive battery terminal under the hood and follow the cable. The fusible link is rectangular and wrapped in insulation material about 300mm from the positive terminal end. It looks to me that you will have to buy a complete new cable which has the link incorporated in it.

Also check the two 60A fusible links at the positive battery post in the trunk under the positive insulated battery cap. This is sold as a single unit for around $100 from other posts I saw.

I found this by googling VE COMMODORE 175A fusible link

THANK YOU!!! Going to go try this now!! Life saver!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts