Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, with the cam the car likes to push pretty bad. So if the wife drives the car she will throw a fit! So time to get one, What's our stock stall at? I was thinking to keep drivability but not blow the doors off when I go WOT I was thinking like a 2800 stall. What factors do you guys normally take into consideration when choosing stall rpm?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Sure. I've ran many stalls in many cars with a wide variety of cams. Just because a stall is rated at a curtain rpm doesn't mean the car doesn't move until that rpm is reached. Any converter is load sensitive(stock or otherwise) the more load applied the higher it will stall with a given amount of torque. When the load is changed or the torque then the amount of stall changes. This is why a converter tightens up when a larger cam is installed because the torque has changed.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Stall is going to be based mainly on cam selection...well that and what you want to live with. Sometimes people get a slightly tighter stall than what their cam calls for, its not optimal but you have to factor in the balance of how many times you race it vs daily drive it. You can send your cam specs into a tuner or converter company and theyll tell you what will work best.

Honestly, Rick Crawford has been getting great results with a small stall. Bunch of us tuned by him have only 2800 stalls which is very livable and people are still cutting some pretty good 60's. I would start small if its a daily, if not go big...personally I have a 2800 at the moment.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Stay close to stock stall size (1800rpm) is the stock stall. The higher the stall the less MPH you will get in the 1/4. And if you go bigger its normally due to the cam size or what you are planning to do.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking 2800 would be about right. Like I said just trying to get rid of the push and not blow the tires off when I go WOT.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Go with it then, a 2800 impo would be perfect. Yank, Circle D, Coan all good imo. If you can swing it get a triple disk.

·
Registered
737 Posts
you can get a new triple disk coan for 1200! the best there is out there! Even with a large cam you can do a 2400 and be perfect! Rick swears by staying in that range, and has installed a bunch of converters in that range with mild to larger cams... good luck

·
Addict
222 Posts
I just got a 2800-3000 TC from Circle D and i like it. personally don't see how having a higher stall would be drivable for me. 2800-3000 seems to keep the car from pushing on the brakes but at the same time made it so i had to relearn how to drive my car. it is a case of needing to be more gentle more of the time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My tuner recommended a Yank 3200 SS for me based on my needs (car is my DD year round.) Has good driving manners, works on the stock converter or a cammed GT, and will eliminate all the pushing. This converter will also compliment your cam nicely and you'll gain the whole advantage of what the cam swap was for in the first place.

I'm still on the stock cam, and I was going to do just the converter this spring, but I've always wanted a cammed G8, and since tax returns are coming back, you know I'll be spending that money :p

·
Registered
165 Posts
i have a 3000 PI stall converter, the drivability is great, hwy mileage picked up some and city is about the same if you drive normal. Complients the stock cam nicely, and on our other g8 with a cam it works well also.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I have a yank 3600ss stall and drives great. But I also have a 404 stroker and big cam.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone ever used a restalled stock converter? Can get then up to 2800 stall

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The problem you have with restalling a stock converter is it heats the fluid up compared to a properly sized converter with the same stall rpm. What they do is basicly flatten out the turbine fins to not move as much fluid and in return makes less effecient compared to a smaller diamter converter and heats the fluid. It also doesn't flash as good.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The problem you have with restalling a stock converter is it heats the fluid up compared to a properly sized converter with the same stall rpm. What they do is basicly flatten out the turbine fins to not move as much fluid and in return makes less effecient compared to a smaller diamter converter and heats the fluid. It also doesn't flash as good.
+1. Don't even bother OP. Much better off buying a converter that was designed for higher stall speeds in the first place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts