Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a set of GTO 17" x 8" stockers. And for those of you that currently have these rims or something close to them, what tires do you recommend for drag radials. I live about 30 miles away from the nearest drag strip and need something that can get back and fourth and still have good life to them (if this is at all possible). I don't know where to buy them so links would be a big help as well.

MOD's are down below..

·
Registered
933 Posts
I will say you'll get recommendations for either a Mickey Thompson or Nitto something or other.

Questions to help suggestions though: Do you plan on modding your car more and going faster? Is the "60 miles round trip" a gotta have item, or could you swap them out at the track? Do you have a price range total or per wheel?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I just had nitto nt05r's put on my gto 17's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I believe the are 275/40/17. Just had them mounted. No street time yet.

·
BOOOOOOOOOOST
702 Posts
You aren't going to hook with Nittos. Not cam'd and stall'd.

My preference are the new version Goodyear Eagle DRs. Fantastic tire, not directional, hooks like a bad ass, and doesn't run out as fast as the Hoosier DRs (which hook slightly better but have barely a season's worth of use most of the time).

The only issue is finding them. I think you can contact Summit to order them.

275 40 17 Goodyear Eagle DRs.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Good I dont have a stall.

·
BOOOOOOOOOOST
702 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sorry Sir.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
You aren't going to hook with Nittos. Not cam'd and stall'd.

My preference are the new version Goodyear Eagle DRs. Fantastic tire, not directional, hooks like a bad ass, and doesn't run out as fast as the Hoosier DRs (which hook slightly better but have barely a season's worth of use most of the time).

The only issue is finding them. I think you can contact Summit to order them.

275 40 17 Goodyear Eagle DRs.
Mine hooked just fine last weekend...at the track.

Not so much on the street, nt05r's here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
BOOOOOOOOOOST
702 Posts

·
BOOOOOOOOOOST
702 Posts
True enough, for the most part. My stall hits insanely hard so I'd just fry up a set and never get anywhere.

FWIW, I am just not a fan of the Nitto DRs. I like their street tires a lot, but I have never liked their DRs. I think they are fine for bolt-on cars or stock-ish cars but I'd go with Mickeys, M&H, Hoosier, or Goodyear for cars with more work done in most instances.

My personal favorite is Goodyear. Amazing stickiness, longer life than Hoosier, and non- directional. Kind of the best mix in terms of performance and life. Just a pain in the dick to find.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yeah I think its cause mine is so tight, 265 mt's and seems to do really well on the street even aired up.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Yeah I think its cause mine is so tight, 265 mt's and seems to do really well on the street even aired up.
I ran your car heads up last weekend. They ran neck and neck, just Rick killing me on the tree LOL. And I think they are both still settling and getting faster...

And yes my next set of drags will be the MT, they are neck snappers on the street!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have a direct link for some mikey's?

·
BOOOOOOOOOOST
702 Posts
Hah, I wish I could hook on the street with MTs, too. Never any luck with that.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Haha its more likely due to my baby setup and such a small stall, plus I heard that coan runs tight as is so maybe that all factors in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts