Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mac10 and Cheese
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola,
Was driving, stopped by my moms. Go to leave and I cant get the key to turn in the ignition. I tried turning the wheel left and right incase the steering wheel lock was engaged and it wont budge. Tried messing with the shifter, but its locked as well. Turned my key backwards and still nothing. Pressed the brake in and tried turning with no luck. Kind of stuck until I get this fixed. Anyone run into this issue before? Any thoughts on how to get it to turn to start my car?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Read the post and typing for clarity. The steering wheel is locked, correct? Are the wheels straight? Did you try putting the key in the ignition and turning it forward while simultaneously turning the steering wheel to the right or left?

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Have any type of lubricant available to spray conservatively in the ignition lock cylinder as the tumblers could be sticking. Am hesitant to use graphite in a modern ignition lock cylinder.

·
Mac10 and Cheese
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read the post and typing for clarity. The steering wheel is locked, correct? Are the wheels straight? Did you try putting the key in the ignition and turning it forward while simultaneously turning the steering wheel to the right or left?
Yep did all that, didn't have any luck. Only thing I have is WD-40, not sure if that would help. But after jiggling the key and turning the steering wheel back and forth for 2 hours it randomly worked. I was able to drive home. I will try the lubricant tomorrow to see if that helps.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
May want to verify using WD-40 in the ignition lock cylinder. Do recall seeing a General Motors lock lubricant, but that was awhile ago. You're welcome

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT WH
298 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 2000 Grand Am but there was atleast a recall that fixed that. Drove the car for 12 years and never got it done. I was the only one who could start it because I was the only one that knew I had to lift/angle the key a certain way to turn the tumbler.

I would also recommend spraying wd on the key itself and not directly into the switch. When you try to turn it, slightly wiggle the key in/out and up/down while attempting to turn it. Not sure if the laser cut keys work the same way as "normal" keys but worth a shot.

Reactions: BAS G8

·
Mac10 and Cheese
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to follow up, I ended up using WD-40 Lock Ease Lubrication. Worked out well. Did end up spending around 2 hours to get it functioning normally. But all seems well now. Thanks for the input guys!

Reactions: Hot Rod

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Was unaware WD-40 makes lock ease lubrication and can't seem to locate it online. At any rate, great the issue is now resolved.

·
Mac10 and Cheese
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was unaware WD-40 makes lock ease lubrication and can't seem to locate it online. At any rate, great the issue is now resolved.
I just typed that into the search box, looks like its just 3-in-1 Lock Ease. Not WD40 :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts