Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pontiac g8 had the sound of water sloshing around in the rear door or something of the sorts. Next thing I know my rear passenger floorboard is soaked as if a torrential rainstorm just hit. Please please please offer advice or simple fixes? I just had to replace transmission, so worried now I'm out bucku bucks to take my pride into a dealer. Thanks.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Clean the drains in the doors, they are clogged. Also make sure the vapor barrier is still sealed when you're done.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Yea. I'd check drains at the bottom first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be a stupid question but where are drains in doors?any openings on the bottom of my doors seem clean of debris.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
It might be a stupid question but where are drains in doors?any openings on the bottom of my doors seem clean of debris.
Not a stupid question. The drain openings are located along the bottom edge of the door. Over time, debris and sediment accumulates in the water channel inside the door subsequently impeding the flow of the water. Alternatively, you could open the door and pour a nice amount of water along the top edge of the door trim and see if it flows normally out of the drain openings.

·
Registered
321 Posts
At the bottom edge of the door there is a rubber seal attached. The openings for the 4 or 5 door drains are behind that rubber seal (it does not seal up the drain holes that much it still allows water out.

But i will have to disagree with everyone else. If the problem was your drain holes you would hear about 2 gallons of water sloshing around inside your door. If it is getting in through the doors it is your vapor barrier that is the culprit.

Do a water test, spray the hose on your door glass for about 10 minutes, let it sit for 1 minute then open the door if you got water in the red area your vapor barrier is letting water past. IF you got it in the green area then your door drains are working fine.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
At the bottom edge of the door there is a rubber seal attached. The openings for the 4 or 5 door drains are behind that rubber seal (it does not seal up the drain holes that much it still allows water out.

But i will have to disagree with everyone else. If the problem was your drain holes you would hear about 2 gallons of water sloshing around inside your door. If it is getting in through the doors it is your vapor barrier that is the culprit.

Do a water test, spray the hose on your door glass for about 10 minutes, let it sit for 1 minute then open the door if you got water in the red area your vapor barrier is letting water past. IF you got it in the green area then your door drains are working fine.

Good info, the OP did mention he could hear water sloshing around hence the drain hole check suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts