Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these "which tires for these wheels" threads have been played to death but I've been searching threads for days trying to figure stuff out with research and its all still left me with a few questions.

I have decided to go with the TSW Nurburgrings. This is where my questions come in. I think the 20" wheels may be too big for my taste so I've decided on the 19" wheels but am unsure on what tires to run. The front wheels will be 19x8 ET35 and rear will be 19x9.5 ET41.

I'd like a little more in the front than the stock 245 widths. Would 265/35 fit in the front with the 35 offset without issues? If not which aspect ratio is best with the 255 tire on a 19" wheel, 35 or 40?

From what I've read 275 in the rear is as wide as I can go without rolling the fenders. If I did decide to roll the fenders would I be able to run 285's without rubbing or any issues?

The TSW Nurburgrings don't seem to be as common as many other wheels (i.e. VMR V710's, Camaro 20's) so hopefully with any info it will be able to help anyone else looking for it in the future.

Thanks in advance.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Assuming you want a all season tire?

Nitto Motivo http://www.nittotire.com/tire/motivo

Use the specs to match your overall diameter front to back (26.7 stock).

275's may rub with the +41 offset and weight in the back.

Rolling and maybe some slight pulling should allow you to run 285's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know these "which tires for these wheels" threads have been played to death but I've been searching threads for days trying to figure stuff out with research and its all still left me with a few questions.

I have decided to go with the TSW Nurburgrings. This is where my questions come in. I think the 20" wheels may be too big for my taste so I've decided on the 19" wheels but am unsure on what tires to run. The front wheels will be 19x8 ET35 and rear will be 19x9.5 ET41.

I'd like a little more in the front than the stock 245 widths. Would 265/35 fit in the front with the 35 offset without issues? If not which aspect ratio is best with the 255 tire on a 19" wheel, 35 or 40?

From what I've read 275 in the rear is as wide as I can go without rolling the fenders. If I did decide to roll the fenders would I be able to run 285's without rubbing or any issues?

The TSW Nurburgrings don't seem to be as common as many other wheels (i.e. VMR V710's, Camaro 20's) so hopefully with any info it will be able to help anyone else looking for it in the future.

Thanks in advance.
1. They are very nice wheels but they are going to look way better in 20" than 19" and certainly will not look "big". Have a look at the TSW Gallery on the TSW USA and TSW Australian sites for the Pontiacs and Holden Commodores with those wheels. They are virtually all 20" fitments in that Nurburgring Wheel.

2. The 20" wheel gives you an 8.5 inch front which is far more suitable for a 255 tire you are considering than an 8 inch product.
Furthermore the 20 x 9.5 inch REAR wheel available in that model gives you a far more suitable 48mm offset which means a 275-30 -20 tyre (the proper fitment for that wheel) will clear the fenders.

I would go TSW Nurburgring as per their products specs:

Front 20 x 8.5 inch... 43 offset... 245 35 20 or 255 35 20 tires
Rear 20 x 9.5 inch ... 48 offset... 275 30 20 tires

3. If you go with the 19 inch wheels the wheel specs in that model wheel will be:

Front 19 x 8 inch ... 35 offset
Rear 19 x 9.5 inch ... 41 offset

FRONT: That 19 x 8 inch wheel is far too narrow for a 265 wide tire so don't even think about trying to fit it. (It is way outside the fitment guidelines for that tire.) You could get away with a 255 40 19 tire though but a 245 40 19 is much preferred (to a wider tire) on an 8 inch wide rim.

REAR: A 275 35 19 is the correct fit for the rear 19 x 9.5 rim . However with that 41mm offset wheel, the face of the tire is going to foul the inside lip of the rear fenders with sufficient suspension movement. If you go with that option you are definitely going to have to roll the rear fenders to eliminate significant tyre rub. (If you go with the 20 x 9.5 inch wheel option you should not have a tyre rub issue because of the much more suitable higher positive offset on that wheel).

Whatever tires you fit front and rear you need to ensure the rolling diameter of the tyres is very close so match them carefully. I would not exceed a 2% differential between F and R tire diameters.

On the 19 inch option I would select:

FR 19 x 8 ..... 245 40 19 tires
RR 19 x 9.5 ..... 275 35 19 tires (but you will need to roll the fender lips)

·
Registered
933 Posts
+1 for wanting to know if you want Summer or All Season. Frankly I think running a nice wheel like that through winter salt/slush would be a crime but it's your car. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a winter beater to drive this past winter and will continue to drive it in the future to work and in the winter so they dont need to be winter tires. I have also kind of swayed towards the 20" just because of the rear offset. Still trying to decide but Discount tire direct has %70 off a purchase of 4 TSW wheels until May 31 so I should have my mind made up by then

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
^with the purchase of new longer front wheel studs....

For the rear, I'm running a 9.5" wheel with +50 offset and 285's (no rolling and no rubbing). I think a +48 and 285's would work also.

9.5" wheels with 275's all around, +31,+33,+35,+38,+40 front, +48,+50 rear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the info. I'm not going to have all the wtuff shipped to Canada because of cost so I'm going to have the wheels and tires held at a UPS station in detroit and book an appointment at a local Discount Tire store so I can pick everything up and have it all put on so I dont want to have to worry about changing wheel studs. The car isn't my daily driver and when it was I only put on about 31k miles in 3 years so I'm not too worried about not being able to rotate the tires.

I think I'm going to go with basically what sean880 had said:
Front: 20x8.5 ET43 wheel and 255/35/20 tire
Rear: 20x9.5 ET48 wheel and then still gotta decide between either 285 or 275/30/20 tire

SRG do you have a decent amount of room between your rear 285 tire and your fender with your 50 offset? I dont want to be rubbing with weight in the car.

I have no issue with rolling my fenders but after researching it a bit I have no idea where to get it done and I have no experience using an eastwood roller.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
SRG do you have a decent amount of room between your rear 285 tire and your fender with your 50 offset? I dont want to be rubbing with weight in the car.

Just enough lol. I've had the car loaded up with people and no rub.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm in Roseville, just 20 mins northeast of Detroit. I went with the Vred's in my sig for summer tires and they're taking everything I'm throwing at them. I haven't heard them squeal yet despite some high speed corners. If you want I can meet you somewhere and you can take Christine for a spin to see if you like the way they handle. I'm not really doing much this weekend.

I got 'em shipped to my office for a bit under a grand from a Michigan company. Whatever you get, you could ship them to my office in Pleasant Ridge (just south of Royal Oak) and I could meet you somewhere to hand them off. The shop that put my wheels/tires is also about 20 mins from the tunnel and I know the owner. You could have the tires/wheels shipped there and then come up saturday (8-3pm I think) morning to have them put on.

Lemme know, happy to help if I can.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob I really appreciate the offer. Ill shoot you a PM.

95% of the time I'm the only person in my car driving but when I take my car up to Grand Bend I drive with people and have coolers in the trunk, camping gear etc. and that's where I dont want to have any rubbing going.

Most of my research has been on the 19's so Ill have to look around a bit more on peoples experiences with 285's on 20's in the rear

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm rolled a little and it's pretty tight for mine (45 offset, 275s) but also most of the time it's just me and maybe my wife. No rubbing yet, but loaded up who knows. (shrug) Granted my sizes/offsets are a little different than what you're looking at too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd recommend you go with the 20" wheels because there are more tire brands and sizes to choose from than the 19" wheels. I didn't know that when I bought my 19" Forgestar.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It sounds like if I dont want any issues without rolling I'll need to play it safe and go with the 275

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
a 285 on a 9.5 and 48mm offset is going to come down to tire brand, its pretty much right on the edge of what could rub and not. of course even they smallest amount of fender rolling would take care of that, or just live with a tiny bit of rubbing with people in the car possibly.

put it this way the people ran breytons race gts- and they where 9.5 with et 35mm offset, and with 275 mine rubbed a little, 48mm offset -13mm then plus 5mm as half of 10 as the increase of 275 - 285 tire, still puts you at roughly 8mm better then the race gts wheels, and I think people shaved a few MM off them and where fine. maybe take a few MM off for the extra tire bulge of a 285 on a 9.5 vs a 275 tire. you still are probably going to be ok

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry Mathew but I would have to disagree with you there.

Put a 285 tire on a 9.5 inch rim with 48 offset wheel and with enough suspension movement the tire will definitely foul the rear guard lips regardless of what brand of tire you buy. Hence you would definitely need to roll the rear fender lips unless you want lots of rubbing and tyre damage.

The reason is that with the 285 tire and a 48 offset - 9.5 inch wheel, the whole rear set up will protrude 20mm further out than the standard factory set up with the 245 tires and 48 offset - 8 inch wide rims. Run a straight edge up the side of the factory tire/wheel set up into the wheel well and measure the gap between the tire face and the inside edge of the rear fender lip. You just do not have 20 mm of a gap in there between the face of the tire and the sharp edged rear fender lip . Furthermore the 285 tire on that set up will also most likely hit the rear bumper bracket with sufficient suspension movement and this will require the bracket to be ground down or otherwise modified to prevent fouling.

The difference between a 285 30 20 and 275 30 20 tire (same brand and model) for general road use is so minimal it is hardly worth all the trouble of putting on that 10 mm wider tire if the 20 x 9.5 ET48 wheel is to be used in the rear. But then, each to his own.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Put a 285 tire on a 9.5 inch rim with 48 offset wheel and with enough suspension movement the tire will definitely foul the rear guard lips regardless of what brand of tire you buy. Hence you would definitely need to roll the rear fender lips unless you want lots of rubbing and tyre damage.
No issues here...guess that 2mm makes a HUGE difference?

285's on 9.5" wheels at a +50 rear offset, no rub, no roll, no sushi.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts