Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to determine specs on this cam. Was installed by prior owner and was provided specs of 222/228* duration, .570/.570 lift and 115* lsa however I am unable to find a cam with those specs so perhaps custom or???.

Cam is damaged and would like to replace with the same one as the car was dyno tuned last feb with this cam.

These are the only markings I can find...

Liquid Gas Font Metal Fluid
Musical instrument Drink Gas Metal Font
Auto part Circle Rim Button Close-up
Helmet Auto part Circle Sports equipment Close-up

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
697 Posts
You can always take measurements...

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Pick a cam company and send them the cam. They can measure and confirm the lift, duration, and spread. Make sure the cam is duplicated correctly

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did contact the installer that the prior owner used (gspeed in dallas) and he said it's a comp cam (installed oct, 2012, but no paperwork back that far) and he will contact them with the serial number which he believes comp cams can use to lookup and hopefully determine the spec. I also contacted delta camshaft about rebuilding it and they have positive reviews. Luckily I'm not in any rush and been dinking around with this for the past 6 months... seemed to have lost interest/motivation, but starting to find that again ;) Sure been doing a lot of reading though!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
More for thought. Pick a cam grinder that can supply the core in 8620 instead of the standard 5150. Less likely to have wear or damage in the future with a superior core

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More for thought. Pick a cam grinder that can supply the core in 8620 instead of the standard 5150. Less likely to have wear or damage in the future with a superior core
Thanks... good to know!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
LG cam?
If so they seem to play " l've got a secret "
Also if the G7X1 is relevant it would seem to be a cam they were using in LS7s

That said as others suggested , find someone with a cam doctor to see what it really is.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Order your Johnson lifters now.....

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LG cam?
If so they seem to play " l've got a secret "
Also if the G7X1 is relevant it would seem to be a cam they were using in LS7s

That said as others suggested , find someone with a cam doctor to see what it really is.
It was my understanding from the prior owner that the son started the gspeed company and was a relatively new business at the time. The person I received an email reply from is named louis gigliotti maybe lg jr?

I'll get more info hopefully soon... so far I've contacted cam motion and they said they could duplicate it.

Is a shop with cam doctor relatively rare, meaning not likely to find one locally?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Order your Johnson lifters now.....
Quite a lot of discussion on lifters with a lot of varying results. Once I get the cam specs I'll go from there. Supposedly it's a milder cam. Need to get the heads freshened up and will get springs and lifters once the cam if selected. Will probably go with che trunnions. Need to replace the clutch too so I need to see how to allocate the funds and johnson lifters are on the high end.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
No idea about the family sorry,
If you want to find someone with a cam doctor you will have to contact some race engine builders in Vegas which there seem to be many.
There are other ways but the cam doctor was the original Cam Doctor
Calling it that may now be an outdated term

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quite a lot of discussion on lifters with a lot of varying results. Once I get the cam specs I'll go from there. Supposedly it's a milder cam. Need to get the heads freshened up and will get springs and lifters once the cam if selected. Will probably go with che trunnions. Need to replace the clutch too so I need to see how to allocate the funds and johnson lifters are on the high end.
I'm from Australia, here we use GM LS7 Lifters across virtually all LS cam upgrades with zero issues. I see frequent mention of Johnson Lifters on the G8 boards, but can't really see any cost/benefit justification over the GM Lifters. If you're trying to keep costs down, the GMs will be fine for all but the extreme high performance race engines.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sent the cam to delta cams to be repaired, going to go with the gm racing lifters.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Interesting decision .

Does delta have masters for your exact cam lobes ?
Edit , or can they work from your good lobes?
How much smaller will the base circle end up ?
Not sure I would want a repaired-welded lobe on anything a new cam was available for.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting decision .

Does delta have masters for your exact cam lobes ?
Edit , or can they work from your good lobes?
How much smaller will the base circle end up ?
Not sure I would want a repaired-welded lobe on anything a new cam was available for.
There are only a couple damaged lobes... I'll see what they have to say once they receive the cam. I could have cam motion duplicate it for $400, delta charges $150 to rebuild. Don't see any issues with how they repair the cam, but we shall see!

Cam Repair

1 - 15 of 15 Posts