Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I own a 2008 Pontiac G8 V6 with 104k miles and lately on cold mornings whenever I start the car it makes this awful rattling sound then stops and everything seems fine, What I have noticed:

It only happens on cold mornings
Car runs fine after the rattling
If it's a hot out it doesn't do it
No check engine light
Rest of the day seems fine
I don't use the car daily

Here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nsmncAMRJQ

I know I should take it to the shop but lately the weather has been horrible here in Texas and I been working a lot and not enough time to take it to the shop, plus is over the 100k warranty. :(

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check for loosened transmission heat shield for starters. Rivets let go.
I think the noise it's coming more from the engine side of things, I watched a few videos of loose transmission heat shields and it's not a constant noise, it only happens after the car has been cold for 8+ hours.

It almost sounds like the engine wants to lock itself.

·
Registered
316 Posts
May be a waste of time but try doing it with the Serpentine belt. Make sure the engine oil is full. It kind of points to a pretty serious case of timing chain noise to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Could probably be the idler pulls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys so I used MOA by BG over the winter months and it stopped the noise from happening. Same issue of sitting overnight and next morning upon start up sure enough it would make the horrible sound. After using the MOA it helped a lot. I recently had the oil changed and the noise came back for obvious reasons. I reordered the MOA and will update again when it is here. Should be this week or the start of next. If I recall it started working immediately. I do not believe in can cures but this one certainly did help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the same problem. On some cold days it is bad enough to kill the engine. It is not a case of bad timing chains as mine are brand new and this happened before and after the change out. I wonder if it is an issue with the oil pump needing to build up pressure in the engine. That's the only thing I can think of. Let me know if any of you find out anything on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts