Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. I just bought my G8 V6( sigh, i know, i know) about two weeks ago and began browsing the forum for some ideas for bluetooth. Then I saw the whole touchscreen mod demon8designs is no longer able to produce and that idea has driven me crazy.

I searched extensively to try and find a way to create what they had been selling, the whole touchscreen + mirror of a phone display. I ran across a thread on here where one member claims to have gotten the same type of set up to work. I believe I have a layout that may work, I am looking for some advice and insight and of course if you could tell me whether or not my setup would work.

so here's my idea:
- tap into the rear aux in the factory head unit.

- run an av component cable to an hdmi to comp. converter box

- run an hdmi/micro usb cord from my droid dna running tv out to the converter

- the touchscreen overlay sends the input info to a micro controller

- use the USB from the micro controller for a BT dongle which will
wirelessly connect to the phone acting as a mouse

Does anybody know how people got this to work? am I on the right track? do you see any major flaws? have any other ideas?

incase those steps weren't easily followed here's a really crappy diagram

sorry for the long post, any feedback is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I read through once or twice already (ive read so many threads about the subject I can't keep them straight, lol) so its the sale idea except instead if the carputer it'll just be plugged into my phone. I know the mirroring will work, I'm just not 100% sure how to get the touch input to work with a phone.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
i'd avoid the touchscreen overlay. nothing but problems when i tried it. best bet is to get the apple composite cable and a vim hack. if you want to mirror, obviously jailbreak your iphone first and then you're good to go. But dont hope for much. you're running composite on a lowres screen and will not look beautiful, although i say it's fine for gps and album art.

·
G8 fiend
1,245 Posts
well for one u need the vim. and the overlays are problematic also most use a carpc or compatible input for the overlay

i would look up vegas nates posts about the overlay he got it to work pretty well with an iphone

most ppl just upgrade the hu with an aftermarket double din deck, its what ill be doin in a few months 8" touch screen hehehehe

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
i'd avoid the touchscreen overlay. nothing but problems when i tried it. best bet is to get the apple composite cable and a vim hack. if you want to mirror, obviously jailbreak your iphone first and then you're good to go. But dont hope for much. you're running composite on a lowres screen and will not look beautiful, although i say it's fine for gps and album art.
How do you connect apple composite cable to droid dna ? :laugh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have seen vegasnates posts and bookmarked the threads for the installation and what needs to be ground down for the screen to fit nicely.

The reason why I want touchscreen is because i think it would be easier to use the screen than the tiny buttons of a phone, I also feel its safer than pulling out the phone, and then trying to focus on the small text.

the good thing for me is for the vim hack I live pretty much in the same area as Chris white so if I'm lucky I won't have to ship my radio, ill just take him a whole car. Lol

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I don't think the touchscreen stuff really lived up to the hype. Plus the android one has driver issues with many phones. Who wants to start their car and then go through a several-minute-mating-procedure (come on guys, you know what I mean) that allows you to have the phone integrated with the touchscreen integrated with the radio inputs, etc.

If you have the bucks, JHP has a VF touchscreen factory radio retrofit into the G8's of yesteryear; it's not cheap, but it's an awesome solution and since it's OEM-quality, it's start the car and go, no fumbling around with settings and waiting for BT to connect and all that jazz. Trust me, been there, done that.

Congrats on the new car purchase by the way; welcome to the forum, OP!

--zepcom

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was pretty set on doing the touchscreen project for a bit which is why I had that thread bookmarked. The more and more I thought about it though, the worse it looked.
- From reading the thread, most of the people ended up breaking at least one part and had to order a replacement.
- The screen resolution is crap.
- Yes you can mirror your phone, but then you lose any information on the normal screen such as Climate controls, Radio info, disc info, etc..
- If you want to use it for Nav, then you have to be in Auxiliary, which means no Nav + radio/cd

I ended up just buying a nice phone with a large screen and a window mount. I also use the phone as a dashcam as I'm driving. I figured if I'm going to spend a ton of time and money on something for this car, it should be something that is worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright, i think you guys talked me out of it, ill probably just get the pa20-gm system for my itouch and just run that for music. thanks for all your input, it sounds like you saved me from a nightmare.

·
G8 fiend
1,245 Posts
save your money and just get a 2 dollar 3.5mm stereo plug and a 3 dollar cig usb
u cant do video and the stereo wheel controls are just for favs pretty pointless

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
alright, i think you guys talked me out of it, ill probably just get the pa20-gm system for my itouch and just run that for music. thanks for all your input, it sounds like you saved me from a nightmare.
It can work how you want it to. It's just a matter of risk and a good amount of precision work to get there. Most people won't want to go through that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think i'll sit it out for a while, seeing as I just purchased the car and have a 12 month 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Maybe i'll reconsider next year when the warranty is up and maybe by then djuniah will have a write up on how he got it to work, or maybe i'll be content with the aux cable. maybe ill just run it to the rear aux and mount it somewhere on the dash so I dont have cables everywhere

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
save your money and just get a 2 dollar 3.5mm stereo plug and a 3 dollar cig usb
u cant do video and the stereo wheel controls are just for favs pretty pointless
i will say that the nice thing about having composites run to the back and a cig lighter is that your phone still charges without the messy wires. Yes you cant control anything easy... i've considered doing a mount and rear aux will just give you a blank screen with no temp or anything, but it's a little cleaner and you can still do gps and album art.

but to your point, if all those are not important and worth the $300 when you're all said and done with vim and cables... an aux input is just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts