Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my v6 axlebacks yesterday and.... Not impressed. Lots of drone, tone isn't great, not raspy as I was hoping it would be... I mean it's a dohc. I have heard probes that sound tougher...kind of sounds like a mid nineties camaro with **** mufflers. Any suggestions? Xpipe?

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh I know all about the Solo V6 kit, it doesn't work! Derekprz got a set for his car and we tried for MONTHS to get the droning to stop. Finally he found a way to get the drone to be 100% gone, he sold them! LOL! Sorry man.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Installed my v6 axlebacks yesterday and.... Not impressed. Lots of drone, tone isn't great, not raspy as I was hoping it would be... I mean it's a dohc. I have heard probes that sound tougher...kind of sounds like a mid nineties camaro with **** mufflers. Any suggestions? Xpipe?
headers?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Well I have an X Pipe and solo mufflers, not the J pipes. And I love the way mine sounds. Also a CAI works well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke to Steve at solo, said there is a five hundred mile break in period? Has anyone added an x pipe to this set up?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had the same as Les. I had the rotofab, x-pipe and the solo axelbacks for about 10000km and I loved every moment with them. There is that drone around 100-110 but it never really vibrated my car. I have upgraded since but I loved them

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
X pipe is where the midmuffler is. Centre of exhaust system.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Yes replace that. Ya that's a good size for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replaced the mid-muffler with a Magnaflow Xpipe, Solo axle backs, Roto-Fab CAI and love the sound. There is only a little drone at 1500rpm but not too bad. I did the exhaust first and then when I added the CAI, the drone disappeared except at 1500rpm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, i had the roto fab, then put the exhaust on... Need the x pipe.. Have a guy here local that i used his dyno rack to put the axlebacks on that wants to tune it w/ hp tuners... Should have went with a custom spintech exhaust but i am more pleased with the solo the more i drive it. Had my wife open it up out in front of the house and it sounds wayy better outside of the car..quiet throaty mostly intake lol .... Need to get rid of that mid muffler...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm with you man. I absolutely HATE my solo v6 axlebacks.
I contacted them at Solo and they recommended their resonators (they gave me a huge discount) but still the sound remains almost identical. I hate it.
I'm still talking with them to try and figure out something else, they have been INCREDIBLY helpful and understanding though. Great customer service

I've got rotofab intake , Solo MR resonators, and v6 axlebacks.
I wonder if something was wrong with the ones I got? because i cant imagine many people liking the tone it creates....
I'm wanting to replace the exhaust with something else, but am afraid of spending all that money again to only be disappointed.
I wish there was another V6 owner with a different exhaust nearby so that I could hear theirs in person before buying my own. I don't know any other members near Indianapolis, Indiana though

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Too bad you don't live near me, I got the sound going good now after some trial and error.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had alot more drone before i got my x-pipe. Now that i have it on is sounds way better and there is no drone.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Somewhere on here I heard that those with the V6 cars have been having good luck with the solo v8 catbacks, I think RichG8 did this and maybe a few others?

I can't remember.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Somewhere on here I heard that those with the V6 cars have been having good luck with the solo v8 catbacks, I think RichG8 did this and maybe a few others?

I can't remember.
ME! Mine are axle back GTs Mufflers not J pipes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts