Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Help with the wife's v6 !

2K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  PONY MAN 
#1 ·
So I stored the wifes G8 before Corona. I know nothing about G8's more of a diesel guy. Anyways, just before storage she had some exhaust work done and they cut out the catalytic and straight piped it. Sounded cool and ran fine. The last day before storage I filled it with high 91 octane and stabilizer, parked it in a non heated garage and disconnected the battery leaving it on a tender. Come about a week ago I pulled it out. Connected battery and fired it up. It immediately started to lope at idle. Ran like a bag until I applied throttle. I idled it around the parking lot and it stopped lopeing. Took it for a very gentle drive and the engine light began to flash and it started shaking like a plug had fouled. Shut it off and started it and the problem repeated. Currently it will start and idle but not happily. It currently is throwing 2 codes, P2273 and P013E . I'm sure this is an O2 issue but curious if I can fix it without installing an entire exhaust system. I know nothing about these cars yet. Help!

#2 ·
First question is the engine light flashing or is it on steady?

#4 ·
Engine light was on steady before I took it for the most recent drive. On the latest drive the light went from on steady, to flashing and beeping as soon as I went over 60k. As well the whole car started shaking and a loud vibration noise until I slowed down to under 50k, then was able to slowly drive it back home again... haven't driven it since.

#3 ·
Both of those codes are for the rearward O2 sensors, if you no longer have those do to your new exhaust set up probably need someone to tune those out.

#5 ·
Ya you need to have the rear O2 sensors tuned out. That's the problem because you have no cats.

#7 ·
You will have to go to a shop that has the software. Mine was done with HP tuners. I have a custom tune. And yes that's why it runs like crap. The sensors are reading to much fuel and trying to lean it out. But it causes confusion in the computer so it goes in to safe mode,so you don't blow it up.

#9 ·
I wouldn't drive it. And yes they can come to you if your stuck. Just a laptop is plugged into the car and they use the software to turn them off. Then it should run new again.

#11 ·
Oh God up there I'm not sure who's there. Maybe hit a car show there if there is any and ask or maybe just google. Tuner in Barrie. Or what ever town your in.
Always happy to help

#12 ·
I'm all the way out in Oshawa

#14 ·
Your welcome anytime. Let us know how you make out with it.

#19 ·
Either replace both catalytic converters or have then tuned out so the engine control module doesn't report them. Reason(s) for removing the catalytic converters? Did the shop not mention subsequent issues prior to doing the work?

#23 ·
I have to wonder why the shop guy couldn't get catalytic converters for your G8. There's a lot of them available from various sources. Not too sure I'd go to him again. Summit Racing has Magnaflow and Pacesetter direct fit converters you could install yourself. Be sure to get gaskets and O2 sensors as well.

#28 ·
If you want a really good exhaust shop and a place that will do it right go to Zoro's exhaust on Stanfield Road in Mississauga.
Yeah its a drive from Barrie but your exhaust will be done and done right and the price is right, they don't charge and arm and leg. I've gone nowhere else for the past 30 years.
They are a Solo shop also so if you want system put on they can, many OGOC members from all over southern Ontario will make the drive to Zoro's.
Only other place I'd even recommend would have been Hot Rod Scott on Kipling Ave but I think he retired.
His shop is shuttered and open for lease.

#29 ·
The car is misfiring now too, do we think that is being caused by the same issue...? I would love to take it to someone who actually knows what they are talking about and definitely dont mind taking the car to the city. The last shop I called said the misfire had nothing to do with the cats so had to be fixed first and wouldn't even consider tuning the car because he said "it wont run any better" ... definitely getting a second opinion on everything from here out...

#30 ·
Was the vehicle running fine prior to doing the "exhaust" work? As others have stated, replacing the catalytic converters or having them tuned out is the first step. By the way, both check engine codes in the first post trend toward downstream oxygen sensor issues given they're unable to measure the efficiency of the deleted catalytic converters.

#31 ·
The car was running okay before the exhaust work, never misfired or anything. Had it straight piped, drove fine. Put away for winter with the battery disconnected, brought out in spring and now its misfiring and throwing codes. The guy I talked to in Newmarket said the misfire had nothing to do with the codes, but he also never so much as looked at the car before dismissing it...

#36 ·
I'd be taking over to Georgian and get a code scan with a tech2 and get the codes squared away.
Hopefully this would tell you if the mis-fire was caused by the straight piping and lack of cats or just a co-incidence.
Then you can make a choice of leaving it at Georgian to get squared away or Zoro's if you want them to do the work.
Going to cost you but hey, your not going anywhere fast now.
Like mentioned above who ever did the work did you absolutely no favors.
My .02 FWIW.

#38 ·
Interesting as in the engine codes could merely be coincidental, but find that difficult to fathom. Be that as it may, car definitely warrants a professional diagnoses.

#42 ·
Valid point since it seems the check engine light would have illuminated soon after or much before nine hundred miles were driven after the exhaust work if it were the issue. :unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.