Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching for a way to get to the thermostat on the v6. From what I can tell is that it's on the back of the engine, mine is stuck open and the dealership wants 350 dollars to install a new one. Is there any how to's out there on how to do this? I wouldn't mind too much but in the winter I get a check engine light because the engine takes too long to heat up.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
It *doesn't* look good in the service manual. Along with having to remove the intake manifold along with bunches of other stuff, they say the engine and transmission has to be dropped down 65mm (for proper access I guess). They talk about replacing all the sub frame bolts with much longer ones to allow for that drop-down to happen. An if that's the only way to attack that thermostat housing (to enable the R&R of the thermostat), it sounds like you would have to do the same things, unless you can envision another way to remove the housing *without* dropping that drive train as well as removing all the other stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just upset. I did a tune up yesterday and it's running beautifully, I was just pissed because I couldn't find the thermostat when I had the intake manifold off for the spark plugs.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I was just out taking a good look at mine the easiest way is to just take the upper intake manifold off. Not sure where your from if you were close I could do it for you.

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
$350 is a great deal to me.. when i was looking up the part they were $409

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the part for 51 dollars for the whole housing gasket and thermostat last year from a local gm dealership ( I'm friends with the parts salesman ). 350 is just for labor from the lowest place other places have quoted as high as 800 dollars.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Look at rockauto.com cheaper there 12 for the t-stat and about 130 for the housing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I bought the part I didn't realize that the t-stat could be changed independently from the housing. That is why I bought the whole housing. And I live in Wisconsin, other wise I'd take you up on that offer and pay you in many beers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
does 160 degree thermostat help performance wise? and also is there any point to having one if your car is tuned to leave fans always running?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
When I bought the part I didn't realize that the t-stat could be changed independently from the housing. That is why I bought the whole housing. And I live in Wisconsin, other wise I'd take you up on that offer and pay you in many beers.
A little to far to drive for that LOL.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I did mine on a lift by removing the transmission crossmember and using a long extension and a tool that allows you to remove hose clamps remotely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its tough, but it can be done without touching the motor. There are 5 bolts in the housing. I used a mechanics mirror to see where they were and took my time to remove them. Its a feel job using a 10 mill ratchet wrench. The one thing to remember is that the thermostat housing is a solid shell with a solid pipe that goes into another solid pipe. There is an o-ring that seals them up. Change the o-ring at the same time. And yes the intake must come off to be able to reach behind the motor down far enough. *rear lest side) Cover all of the intake ports with tape. It took me 5 hours in my driveway to do this job. Removing the air intake and the intake was easy as I have already done the timing chaines and guides.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts