Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I attempted to take the cheap route and do a DIY air intake, I successfully created one for under 40$, but I have a few issues. I incorporated the stock air sensor and kept the EGR hose hooked up and it seems to be fine but upon starting up the car, the traction control won't turn back on (not the end of the world, I like to drive with it off) the radiator fans run at a higher rpm than normal, and my dash says contact dealer.
Any help would be appreciated!
Update:
Put old intake back in and it's doing the same thing, so I'm fairly certain that it isn't that.. I noticed that the oil temperature gauge is pegged at low which has never happened so I'm assuming that that is messed up too. I'm thinking I accidentally unplugged something. Again, any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Unless you have an add on gauge, I'm not aware that you could see the engine oil temp visually, at any old time. If your talking about the indicator to the left of the tach indicator, that's the engine water temp gauge. Just to make sure, take a look at the ECT connector. Maybe it accidentally became disconnected or damaged during your air intake mod (or the sensor itself).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unless you have an add on gauge, I'm not aware that you could see the engine oil temp visually, at any old time. If your talking about the indicator to the left of the tach indicator, that's the engine water temp gauge. Just to make sure, take a look at the ECT connector. Maybe it accidentally became disconnected or damaged during your air intake mod (or the sensor itself).
I'll go check.
Engine water temp would be what I'm talking about. Whoops!
Would that sensor also explain why traction control won't turn back on?
Thanks

So... it appears that everything is plugged in correctly, there aren't any broken/frayed wires or pipes.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I don't think were on the same page here. The ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor is threaded into the drivers side cylinder head, and is powered up with a 2 pin connector. If the connector were off, loose or damaged in such a way as to create an excessively high resistance in that 2 wire circuit, your gauge would want to peg out on the cold end of it. *Maybe* that might tell the ECM to do other things, such as warning comments and high fan speeds etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think were on the same page here. The ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor is threaded into the drivers side cylinder head, and is powered up with a 2 pin connector. If the connector were off, loose or damaged in such a way as to create an excessively high resistance in that 2 wire circuit, your gauge would want to peg out on the cold end of it. *Maybe* that might tell the ECM to do other things, such as warning comments and high fan speeds etc.
Turns out the engine cooling pump was malfunctioning and the sensor was fried. The intake works wonderfully! Noticed a decent increase in upper rev power and my engine now sounds beefier!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts