Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's been raining here for pretty much 72 hrs straight, flood warnings all over the place, etc. So basically, pretty damp for the past 3 days. Every morning when I leave for work, the car hesitates for a solid 2 seconds before finally turning over. Repeats that after sitting at work all day and I go to start it to leave. Any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Could be the battery is starting to go. Check your voltage in engineering mode. Might be time for a new one if it's still original.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, ok. Yeah as far as I know it's the original (i'm the 2nd owner). What should the voltage be at?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ah, ok. Yeah as far as I know it's the original (i'm the 2nd owner). What should the voltage be at?
You'll want to see what it is with a load, IE: When you try to start. Enter Engineering mode and highlight the voltage before you start. When you start the car you'll see the voltage drop. With nothing on it should be somewhere >= 12v but that won't tell you if the battery is good or not. Tell us what the voltage is when it hesitates and then when it actually starts.

You could also have one of the auto parts places load test the battery.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Off topic..I live in Schaumburg also. Are you the liquid red that's always posted outside a shop in industrials near Wise?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, tested it when I started it to leave work. It didn't hesitate as badly as it has been (of course) but here is the data:

12.1v upon entering engineering mode (motor not started)
10.5v during slight ignition hesitation
then moved up to 11.5-.8 over the next 5-10 seconds
then leveled off at 14.8-15.1 for the next minute or two

My battery charge, if it matters, listed 72.1%.

1fastmf, nope not me. I don't work near Wise Rd.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ok, tested it when I started it to leave work. It didn't hesitate as badly as it has been (of course) but here is the data:

That's pretty normal. I'd say your battery is ok. Also not sure I'd worry about it until it. The starter they use on the G8 & GTO seems to feel/sound "weaker" than other cars. That said, my G8 has never failed to start over the last 4 years with the factory battery. I think Virus replaced his starter for one of the truck starters which is a bit more powerful.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

Yep. Battery seems okay.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, glad the battery isn't going. Wasn't ready for a $100+ purchase right now. Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Yeah I'd probably attest to the humidity and dampness from the massive amount of rain you guys got.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in Elmhurst, and I've been experiencing the same thing since the rains. The car is still doing it from a cold start. When it's warmed up, the slow starting doesn't happen. My battery is in good condition too. I have a tune, so I'm tempted to go back to stock to see if I'm running too rich/lean.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marcados, I'm definitely still having the hesitation as well, on cold start-ups; even this morning when it was 64* out and dry. I'll see what it is in about 20 minutes when I leave the office. Its 86* out now and dry, but I'm anticipating the same hesitation. I'm bone stock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Go to Speed INC. in Schaumburg and get a tune. They do a good job on our cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gas

Just curious, you think the gasoline refineries have switched over their seasonal fuel additives? Could be the ethanol additions giving our ECU's a hard time. Just a total shot in the dark. Interestingly, I switched my tune from the cortex rotofab 87 octane to the 93 octane. I had been running 93 due to pinging I heard, but running the higher octane tune might help with the summer fuels.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Check for bad connections. Typically it's something stupid that causes these kind of problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just curious, you think the gasoline refineries have switched over their seasonal fuel additives? Could be the ethanol additions giving our ECU's a hard time. Just a total shot in the dark. Interestingly, I switched my tune from the cortex rotofab 87 octane to the 93 octane. I had been running 93 due to pinging I heard, but running the higher octane tune might help with the summer fuels.
That's a good point. The switch in fuels might have to be relearned over a tank or 2. Like you said though, total shot in the dark.

I'll definitely check my connections. Nothing's been touched under the hood since around October, in terms of disconnecting/replacing anything, but you never know.

To update on my comment after leaving the office: of course the car started right up without any hesitation. Maybe she just missed the warm weather:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, here is a video from this morning in case it helps to actually hear what's going on:

Again, this just started happening maybe a month ago. It used to just fire right up regardless of temperature, humidity, rain, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yea, this is still happening with my car too. I'll pull some plugs this weekend to check that too. My wife's Honda Pilot has been starting like this too. We've had plenty of wet weather before, this is quite puzzling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts