Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :smile2:

I have just bought a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and my son have done a great job machine polishing it.
Now i have a hard time finding mud flaps to protect the paint from stone chips. I realy would prefer to find a set of new OEM 92215232 of all four but they seames to been sold out!?

Also the car has aftermarket rear mufflers, i have not checked the hole exhaust system but thats what i have seen so far. Think it might be magnaflow. Anyway it has a litle strange resonance when your up to speed. Does that have to do when the engine cut of cylinders maybe?

Thanks

Anders/Sweden

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
I think owners have been able to prove out whether or not the mufflers may be the main cause of resonance (drone) when cruising along at about 70ish. I'm pretty sure they would go into the manual mode, an selecting an running for a bit in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear, should tell you something about the noise/vibes. Doing this defaults the engine to the V8 mode vs drifting in an out of the 4 cylinder mode. The results may give you the answer. Course if the previous owner(s) had deactivated the 4 cylinder function, forcing the engine to run in the V8 mode all the time, it will need the help from the smarter members on this subject.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think owners have been able to prove out whether or not the mufflers may be the main cause of resonance (drone) when cruising along at about 70ish. I'm pretty sure they would go into the manual mode, an selecting an running for a bit in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear, should tell you something about the noise/vibes. Doing this defaults the engine to the V8 mode vs drifting in an out of the 4 cylinder mode. The results may give you the answer. Course if the previous owner(s) had deactivated the 4 cylinder function, forcing the engine to run in the V8 mode all the time, it will need the help from the smarter members on this subject.
Hi

Yes i tried today to do manual mode and the drone dissapears. So i guess it's when engine go in 4 cylinder mode the drone kicks in. Is it common that owners deactivate the 4 cylinder mode? For me it gives a slight vibration to i think

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Tons of us deactivate it. Get your car tuned and you won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks to LTUNA03 :)

Yes LTUNA03 is a great guy :grin2:

I bought a new complete set of OEM Pontiac G8 Mud Flaps from him and everything worked out very smoothly :smile2:

Next thing is to mount them on the car!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
:smile2: Welcome and enjoy the ride a lot of great members here to help :smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Welcome!
There are two types of drone on these cars. One is the AFM changeover and it’s fixable by using stock (quiet) mufflers or turning off/removing the system, which I recommend.
The other is a drone that occurs with aftermarket mufflers around 1800 rpm. A set of J pipes will fix that. Not everyone hears that one.
Deleting the system will only cost you about 1.5 mpg, and in my opinion the car is a lot happier without it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome ,this place has helped me immensely with my car, lots of great people and good info.
As for drone ,I killed mine by removing the mid muffler and adding a pair louvered bullet mufflers in its place.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Hi everyone :smile2:

I have just bought a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and my son have done a great job machine polishing it.
Now i have a hard time finding mud flaps to protect the paint from stone chips. I realy would prefer to find a set of new OEM 92215232 of all four but they seames to been sold out!?

Also the car has aftermarket rear mufflers, i have not checked the hole exhaust system but thats what i have seen so far. Think it might be magnaflow. Anyway it has a litle strange resonance when your up to speed. Does that have to do when the engine cut of cylinders maybe?

Thanks

Anders/Sweden
Are you and the G8 in Sweden?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Sorry about the very late reply :crying:

Yes, me and my car living in Sweden. I think it is about 8 G8 GT's over here now :smile2:
Very interesting.

I can't say that I've seen 8 G8s in the town I live in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m thinking of getting a g8 but I have a question, are all of the base models the v6s or can I find a v8 base model if I look hard enough

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m thinking of getting a g8 but I have a question, are all of the base models the v6s or can I find a v8 base model if I look hard enough
You can dress a GT up to look like a base model. It's been done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now i have a lifter tapping. I have bought Wvynn's oil aditive that i should try for that but maybe it is a colapsed lifter i'm afraid :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
APL
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing