Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my HIDs in the mail today and was wondering, can one simply just unscrew the headlight assembly and install the bulbs ballast ect.?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was able to get to both from under the hood, the driver side was easy for me since i have a vararam intake and that side is open, the passenger side was a pain in the ass for me with my big hands, but was able to get it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Make sure you aim them just a little bit lower, it will help out a bit with the glare coming from a Halogen Style Projector.

·
Registered
444 Posts
DDM is not a bad budget kit. I used a similar knock off kit which was great when I did a conversion of my Focus to show that even Halogen Projectors aren't really meant for HID's. I usually recommend the retrofit source. All one word for their website. Staff is good and knowledgeable, they have Morimoto and Phillips Ballasts which are some of the best out there if you're looking for high dollar products. I also suggest them if you go with a full retrofit for real HID projectors. I have to admit as before, the halogen projectors that our G8's use are pretty good, I almost suspect that they perhaps are HID lenses actually seeing some pics of HID's put in or just that good of quality. Just remember to aim lower, one of the best ways to get a good compromise is to take a crate to sit down on with the lights on and sit at an angle from the front bumper as if you're in a car facing yours. Gives you a good way to adjust to minimize the glare produced and still have optimum lighting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have the patience, you can skip taking anything apart like I did for my head and fog lights. The relay box side is a bit of a pain but it saves you the strain of dealing with all the push pins and wrestling with the wheel wells or front facia removal.

·
every village has one
2,170 Posts
Take your time and remove whatever is in your way. The fender liners are no big deal, and removing the front wheels isn't bad either. You'll have to drill out the center of your dust covers with a 15/16 hole saw, and silicone the grommets anyhow. If you don't, you'll risk the headlights fogging up.
Give yourself lots of room, and be patient like the man says. It won't be good if you have to do it twice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I removed the fender liners on mine. It was very easy. Be sure to check and make sure you have solid grounds and you will be good. I think there's a nice in depth DIY article on here if I'm not mistaken too...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts