Pontiac G8 Forum banner

High mileage motor with a cracked cam bearing

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  G8boostin 
#1 ·
So I pulled my motor to do a dod delete, cam, and converter. I started tearing it down and found a cracked cam bearing. I have almost 170k on it. Just looking options on wether or not I should replace the pistons and rods while it’s apart. It’s gonna be N/A, I don’t have any plans of force induction, just don’t wanna run into problems once it’s back together. Looking for opinions on what piston and rod combo to run. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I would let the machine shop go through it first and see what they say. The other piece of information that would help in giving you advice would be what kind of budget you are working with.

Reactions: G8boostin
#3 ·
Are the bores smooth or is there a heavy ring left by the top ring? Unless there is excessive wear, just fix what it needs, IMHO

#8 ·
#2 cam bearing is know for showing wear due to the two narrow surfaces. Better bearings are available. What is your HP goals? What cam are you installing? Are you ever going to use forced induction? If going to FI at least re-ring with wider gaps.

#10 ·
Here's a thread to start your reading. I would highly suggest you do some searching on here for the tried and true setups. Not a lot of people who know what they are talking about on this subject ( me included) are left on these forums. Anything you see from G8-4-speed is what you should go with. I know you went with BTR for your cam but Rick paved the way for the G8 community and set a lot of racing records. It will be very hard to get a hold of him if you try to reach out to him directly. In that case, google Ace performance G8. Adam sells all of Rick's setups and get you his tunes quickly.
Again, get a plan together with your future goals. Reading your posts, you don't seem to have your mind made up about boost vs N/A and you also don't know if your block will even support stock bore pistons.

Reactions: G8boostin
#11 ·
Here's a thread to start your reading. I would highly suggest you do some searching on here for the tried and true setups. Not a lot of people who know what they are talking about on this subject ( me included) are left on these forums. Anything you see from G8-4-speed is what you should go with. I know you went with BTR for your cam but Rick paved the way for the G8 community and set a lot of racing records. It will be very hard to get a hold of him if you try to reach out to him directly. In that case, google Ace performance G8. Adam sells all of Rick's setups and get you his tunes quickly.
Again, get a plan together with your future goals. Reading your posts, you don't seem to have your mind made up about boost vs N/A and you also don't know if your block will even support stock bore pistons.
i appreciate the info, Ill check out ace, that’s where I got most of my delete stuff from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.