Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in one of the threads that someone on here was using high temp RTV/silicone gasket goo to make their gasket seal on the flanges on the axle backs. I am having my Hooker MaxFlows finally built next week, but will probably keep my stockers and Solo's. I'd like to switch out to the Solo's once in a while, maybe on long weekends to head up north, special occasions, etc. That could get costly and tiresome tracking down actual gaskets or making my own out of gasket sheets.

So, I found some high temp stuff that ranges up to 650*. I don't think that flange would get that hot, being so far back from the engine. Of course, a lot depends on air flow (sitting in traffic vs moving) and even ambient temperature.

I am thinking those flanges won't get above 400-500*, but I could be wrong. I know the headers themselves would exceed those 650* temps, and would never use that stuff there on the headers.

Thoughts? *******?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I used Permatex Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone on mine. Put a layer between the gasket and flange on both sides, bolted up and it's all set. Supposedly up to 700 deg's intermittent and I can't see exhaust that far back getting that hot unless you put a brick on the throttle and leave it in park.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.