Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after a night of cruising and doing some pulls my car was making a noticeable hissing sound when driving in low gear (ex: 30mph in 2nd gear) and now when just daily driving I will hear a small little hiss when the car upshifts and a longer hiss when in low gear just coasting. It sounds like it's coming from the engine bay and I thought it could have been the air intake slipped but that wasn't the case. Any help?

·
Registered
689 Posts
In this case it would be good if we could hear this hiss. From your description could be a trans issue. Though 'hiss' implies a vacuum leak. Any other issues beyond the hiss? Did you check for codes?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In this case it would be good if we could hear this hiss. From your description could be a trans issue. Though 'hiss' implies a vacuum leak. Any other issues beyond the hiss? Did you check for codes?
I can get a video of it when I leave for work tomorrow. If I drive in the normal drive gear all's fine. It normally happens around high RPM and the sound drops off right after the car or I shift. So to be more clear it typically happens only at high RPM. Haven't noticed it too much after the car has just warmed up but it gets more noticeable after i've been driving for some time. Side note I haven't been thrown any codes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
So after a night of cruising and doing some pulls my car was making a noticeable hissing sound when driving in low gear (ex: 30mph in 2nd gear) and now when just daily driving I will hear a small little hiss when the car upshifts and a longer hiss when in low gear just coasting. It sounds like it's coming from the engine bay and I thought it could have been the air intake slipped but that wasn't the case. Any help?
Refer to the thread below. There is a rigid plastic vaccuum pipe that goes brittle. Could be that.
Engine Drops in Revs at Idle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I found out the issue when I brought my car into my work so i could change my oil. My center support bearing is gone. This came as a relief because I was not looking forward to having to do work on my transmission. I ordered a new driveshaft for about $512 and my question is if anyone knows, will I need to buy a new center support bearing or is it just something that should come with the new driveshaft?

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
584 Posts
Usually you just change the carrier bearing and reuse the driveshaft, make sure you mark the 2 pieces of the driveshaft so they go back together exactly like it was so it stays balanced.

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
Would merely replace the center carrier bearing support in lieu of the entire driveshaft. The support bearing runs around $90 brand new. The driveshaft should come with the carrier bearing pre-installed. What brand is the purchased driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
Saw it listed on there along with the support bearings. Personally rarely purchase Dorman products for numerous reasons albeit interested to see how it shakes out if you do decide to install the driveshaft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts