Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had time today to install my wheel. And while it was sitting in the box, I figured now would be the time to install paddle shifters as well. :D

As others have mentioned, the steering wheel install would have gone a lot smoother had I just rotated the wheel from the get go. The other difficult part was tapping one of the BCM wires for the paddle shifters. It's about the hardest to reach spot under the dash, with the pedals in the way.

The fit and finish on this thing is great, and the shifters work flawlessly! A shout out to wolfman1192 who supplied the wheel, and to the guy on facebook who makes the paddle shift kits (don't know if you're on here).

1 question/issue. My airbag/horn seems to fit very tightly into the new wheel, and makes the horn rather sensitive. The whole assembly barely moves. Anyone have the same fitment?

Old wheel...

You can see the couple extra wires for the paddles...

Done...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha. OK. Mine actually honked on it's own a couple times when I first started driving, but it seemed like it loosened up just a bit on my drive.

Thanks again wolfman!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
question how do you hook up peddle shifters
The guy who makes the kits does 90% of the work... mounting the paddles to the back cover, wire management, etc. He supplies the few extra parts and instructions for the whole thing. You end up changing the ground connection on the wheel, and using the existing ground wire that goes through the clockspring as the signal wire. Then you pick it up on the column side, and run a wire down the column, and tap into a wire on the BCM.

The paddles are camaro paddles, and the end result is very nice and has a factory look and feel.

I have pics, but I want to check with the maker before sharing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Looking good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can the paddle shifters be added to standard wheel?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have these two exact pieces sitting in boxes waiting for the G8 i will some day buy. They seemed like upgrades that could stop being available at any time that i would enjoy. I can also +1 the paddle shift kits from John Faust on FB, he does a solid job. Can't wait to do this myself.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have these two exact pieces sitting in boxes waiting for the G8 i will some day buy. They seemed like upgrades that could stop being available at any time that i would enjoy.
That's awesome. You know you're a car person when you buy parts for your future car.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have these two exact pieces sitting in boxes waiting for the G8 i will some day buy. They seemed like upgrades that could stop being available at any time that i would enjoy. I can also +1 the paddle shift kits from John Faust on FB, he does a solid job. Can't wait to do this myself.
Ha. Nice! I ordered the wheel, then thought, "well, while the steering wheel is off, better just do the shifters too".

I texted with John a bit, and he gave permission to post pics of the guts of the shifter assembly. (coming shortly) Also, if anyone is not on facebook, I can PM you his email.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the part you receive from John, then you mail your old one back to him when you're done (core charge). This is the same part for both of the GT wheel options and the Holden wheel. Everything inside is very solidly mounted. He also provides the connectors and instructions (also useful for the basic steering wheel swap).

The wire with the ring terminal in the pic above is the ground, and gets screwed to an existing screw/ground location on the steering wheel. The bottom 2 wires get connected to the clockspring wiring. See below. I tidied this up after taking the pic. The other loose connectors are for the airbag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you ave the contact information for John Faust, I've come across a few mentions of him for being the guy to go to for Paddle shift conversions?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you ave the contact information for John Faust, I've come across a few mentions of him for being the guy to go to for Paddle shift conversions?
Facebook is the quickest way to get him. PM'ed you as well.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm interested in this as well. I just bought a holden steering wheel for my car and if I can get this all done before installation I'd like to do so.
PM'ed you.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts